Chapter 6 - Space Cadet

Summer's POV

I turned the corner, and saw the park just a block ahead. The only problem was, I never got to the park.

I felt a tug on my wrist, so I turned around to see what was going on. A chloroform rag was stuffed into my mouth, and a blindfold was placed over my eyes. I felt myself being lifted onto somebody's shoulder and thrown into the car. I tried to call for help, but I was feeling dizzy and it was beginning to get difficult to breathe.

Then, everything blacked out.

***

I woke up in complete darkness. I tried to stretch my arms and legs, but they couldn't move. I remember when Blake covered me in bubble wrap. I was angry then, but now I'd give anything to be there. The warmth and love seems like such a distant memory now. That room lacked everything that made me feel like I was at home.

I wanted to look around, but then I realized that a piece of fabric was obscuring my view. I attempted to scream, but they were just muffled into my gag. Great I thought. So this is what it's like to be kidnapped. Why me? Why is it always me? Who would do something like that to me? Then it hit me. My parents. They must have done this. Who else could it have been?

Then, my blindfold and gag was ripped off. I looked to see my kidnapper. My kidnapper had a pale face, black eyes, and black hair. My dad didn't look like this last time I checked. But this man did look familiar.

Suddenly, I realized who it was. It was the creepy man from the mall. But what does he want to do with me?

"Who are you?" I blurted out. He just chuckled as if what I said had been funny. "Oh Summer Tuckerman. The youngest of eight children. Seven boys, one girl." the man said, sounding like he was reciting information. "How do you know who I am?" I asked. This is getting rally clique I thought, remembering all of the stories I read about kidnappings. "My darling, the answer is quite simple. But I'm afraid I can't provide you with that information," the man answered, with a thick, Russian accent. "Why not?" I questioned. "Because it can't be trusted in your hands," the man replied. "Well you never answered my question," I suddenly remembered. "Like I said, information like that can't be trusted in your hands," the man said. "Also, why I would I be so stupid to let you know?" the man added with a laugh.

I gave up, seeing that arguing was futile. Instead, I took the chance to look around the room. The only light source was a dim light hanging above me, ready to fall at any second. The floor was smooth, but dirty. There were no windows, and the walls were growing mold. There were two doors. One was connected to another room, and the other led outside, but it would be impossible to escape without him seeing. A table sat in the corner, scattered with papers.

"I'm going to leave the room now. Don't even think about doing any funny business," the creepy man said, holding up a gun. I shivered, partly from the cold, and partly from being away from my family.

I take for granted having older, protective brothers that will always support me. I take for granted having friends that I can trust with my deepest secrets. I take for granted having freedom. Freedom. The word sounded so familiar, yet so new. I miss having my freedom. My freedom to just be a kid. A normal 13 year old girl, living in a small town in California.

But then I started thinking. It could be worse. I could be on my deathbed, saying my final words. Imagine kids who have to deal with this daily. Imagine this being the norm. I'm lucky to even be alive at this point.