Chapter 20 - Next Thyme

Summer's POV

"What did you get on the reading quiz?"Riley asked Autumn as we strolled through the hallways.

"An A minus," Autumn responded before sipping her Starbucks.

"How? I studied all week and got a C!" Riley complained. Autumn simply shrugged and continued to drink her overpriced coffee.

"It's probably just because Mr. Wonder hates you," Tyler suggested.

"Gee thanks pal!" Riley said bitterly. "I know he hates me! My parents are going to kill me! Why can't I just be the teachers' favorites and have everything come easy?"

"Hey! I work really hard in class! You're the one who's always sleeping and not taking notes. No wonder he hates you!" Autumn retorted.

"Was the pun intentional?" Riley pondered. Autumn smacked his arm playfully.

"Honestly, I see where you're coming from," I admitted. "Mr. Wonder sucks."

"He tries way too hard. It's like he wants to be one of us," Ethan said. We all nodded our heads in agreement. One time during class, he was eavesdropping on some kids who were talking about Selena Gomez. He was fangirling and talking about his favorite songs of hers. Then he blasted her songs in the classroom and was dabbing. I shuddered at the cringy memory.

"What do you think his future wife will be like?" Autumn inquired.

"Probably in her 70s with her twelve cats who watches Wheel of Fortune all day. Maybe a Brenda?" I suggested.

"Nah. He's going to be lonely forever," Riley decided. When we reached our lockers, we dropped our bags on the floor and went to get our books for the next class. Since our lockers weren't next to each other, we had to yell to be heard over the noisy students.

"I want to go home!" Ethan whined.

"Same," I said in agreement.

"What do you have next!" Tyler exclaimed.

"Science!" I yelled back. Halfway through the year, I was switched into a more advanced class because Adam insisted that I wasn't learning quick enough. He had a long talk with the principal about me and eventually convinced him to let me switch. None of my friends were there, but Josh was, so we would talk a lot.

I waved goodbye before heading over to doom.

"Hey Summer," Josh said as I entered the class. I smiled and sat down next to him.

"Hey. I can't wait to go home," I said, repeating Ethan's words. It was a Friday and I just wanted to go home and watch some Netflix in my cozy blankets. I was so done with school and needed some time to relax.

"Yeah, me too," he agreed. He smiled a sincere smile that showed his dimples. "I hate science."

"Really? You're so good at it," I said with surprise. It was true. He got the best marks in the class.

He shrugged. "I'm really not. I just study a lot," he said modestly.

"I wish I was good at science," I groaned slumping in my seat.

"You're not bad," Josh reassured me awkwardly.

Before I got a chance to respond, the teacher entered the class.

"Good afternoon," the teacher projected enthusiastically.

"Good afternoon," we repeated like an army of mindless robots.