Chapter 21 - I Hate Valentine's Day

Summer's POV

"I hate Valentine's Day," I groaned while slamming my locker shut. Autumn looked at me quizzically and then proceeded to explain why Valentine's Day was the best holiday.

"B-but...love? Don't you love love? How could the world be something without love?" Autumn ranted. "We all know you love Tyler," she added in a whisper while waggling her eyebrows. I usually would have blushed from this comment, but I was so uninterested in what Autumn had to say to even care.

"So? The world couldn't go around without pizza, but that doesn't mean there should be a whole holiday devoted it," I said. But truly inside, I felt that there absolutely should be a holiday for pizza. I mean, come on! Just picture it! Free pizza!

"Yeah, but that's different. Some people don't like pizza."

"Well some people don't like love and hearts and pink and glitter and stuff like that," I pointed out.

"But I like that type of stuff. And you like chocolate. And what's Valentine's Day without chocolate?" Autumn said. That was a good point.

"But coach doesn't let us eat chocolate," I said, not wanting Autumn to win. But she knew as well as I did that I didn't stick to the stupid diet. To add emphasis, I stuck my tongue out.

"Very mature," Autumn muttered under her breath.

We continued to debate until the boys caught up with us.

"Hey," Riley said while messing up Autumn's hair.

"You idiot," she said while flattening her hair down.

"That's me," Riley said cheerfully.

"Do you guys wanna go get some froyo after school?" Ethan asked us.

"Sure," Autumn and I answered simultaneously. The only class we had left was gym, but luckily we all had it together. And none of us had any sports practices after school either.

We walked into our designated locker rooms to get changed. I just threw on an old shirt and some black nike leggings. Autumn wore a pink tank top with some pink leggings. I rolled my eyes at her outfit but continued to go into the gym.

"Today, we're just going to play dodgeball," the burly gym teacher announced while lugging a bag of dodge balls over his shoulder. "I've already assigned teams so go to your side when I call your name."

I ended up being on a team with all the Populars and my friends were all on the opposite team. They gave me a look that said "Sucks to be you!" I gave them a stern look in return to which they responded with amused smiles.

"Okay, you guys should know the rules by now, so on the count of three, you may begin," the gym teacher instructed. "Three. Two. One."

We all ran for the dodgeballs in the center of the gym. Some people tried to throw the dodgeballs right then and there, but others, like myself, pushed them back for others to throw. Swirls of red, blue, yellow, green, you name it, zoomed passed our heads in an attempt to hit us. When you really think about it, the whole dodgeball concept is kind of stupid. Like, why is the while objective of the game to hit someone? Not that I'm complaining! Don't get me wrong! I love to get all my anger out by chucking balls at people I hate.