Chapter 24 - Mr. Bunny

Summer's POV

"On my mark, get set, go!" Victor cried. A swarm of kids ran as fast as they could around the backyard to collect the greatest number of Easter eggs. Kids trampled each other in an effort to grab the eggs.

"Go! Go! Go!" Riley cried, cheering his sister on. Rosie smiled at him and continued to scramble for the eggs.

It was Easter. Every year, our neighborhood likes to have an Easter Egg Hunt, and this year, our family volunteered to host it. All of the Stare Squad was there, and even Zak was there too. While the adults were busy drinking, the younger kids took part in an Easter egg hunt. It took me and Parker forever to hide all of the eggs. Jake made dozens of cookies and brownies and different treats for the party, not to mention appetizers and some chicken.

Me, Riley, Autumn, Tyler, and Ethan were all watching the kids search for the eggs while reminiscing about when we used to also do the Easter Egg Hunt. My brothers would cheer me on just like Riley was cheering Rosie on.

"It's so hot," Autumn complained while using her hands to fan herself.

"That's probably 'cause I'm here," Riley said with a smug look on his face. Autumn rolled her eyes.

"Yeah, because you're like hell on earth," Tyler said. Ethan and I could barely contain our laughter as Riley's smile slowly faded.

"Shut up," Riley muttered.

"I'm hungry," Ethan whined while jumping up and down.

"Me too," I agreed. "Let's go get some food."

They all nodded and we went inside to grab some snacks. I grabbed a chocolate chip cookie and fudge brownie from the platter. I devoured them quickly and plopped down on the couch.

"I'm already bored," Riley said, his sad attitude clearly gone.

"Yeah, but at least we have food!" Autumn said with a smile. Food fixes everything.

"What do you want to watch?" I asked everyone, motioning to the TV.

"Let's watch the game," Tyler suggested. Since no one complained, I turned on the TV and flipped to the channel. We watched the game for a couple of minutes. Occasionally. . . Okay, frequently, we would yell at how stupid the refs were and how blind they were, and complain what a bad call it was. You know, the usual.

"Son of a—" Riley started before seeing Rosie prance into the room. "—Biscuit?"

"Wiley! Wiley! Wiley! Guess what!" Rosie exclaimed with a wide grin.

"What?" Riley asked, trying his best not to sound bored.

"You have to guess!" Riley groaned.

"Umm, you saw the Easter bunny?" Riley guessed.

"No!" Rosie said. "The Easter bunny doesn't come until later! Guess again!"

"Er, you got a bunch of eggs?"

"Not just any egg, the golden egg!" Rosie screamed with delight.

"Oh! Of course! Wow! Good job!" Riley said. With that, Rosie skipped away to brag to someone else about her accomplishment.

"What's the golden egg?" Riley asked after Rosie was gone.

"It's basically just an egg spray painted gold. Nothing really that special," I explained.

"Then why is she so excited about it?"

"Beats me," I shrugged.

"Hey Summer," Ryan said while squishing in between me and Tyler. "How's it going?"