Chapter 9 - Grannies or Huggies

Summer's POV

"Psst, Summer, wake up," a voice said. My eyes slowly opened and my head rose from the desk. I looked to see the whole class staring at me. Some girls were smirking, and Autumn and Tyler were looking sympathetically at me.

"Miss Tuckerman, what is the answer to number 11?" the math teacher asked me. "23.7," I said after a quick glance at the problem. The teacher looked surprised, but said, "Very well. But please care not to fall asleep in my class."

I looked at Tyler, who had a shocked expression on his face.

"How did you know the answer?" he asked.

I shrugged and said, "I just did the math."

For the rest of math class, I was trying to keep my eyes open. Every time my eyes would close, Autumn would nudge me. Without her, I would be completely passed out.

I stared out the window, just waiting for basketball tryouts. They were right after school, and I was super excited to play again. My family can't afford to play for any club teams, so we just played with the school instead. I started playing basketball at a young age, because of my brothers. They would often make me play against them, and I would just keep losing and losing. Overtime, I got better, and now I'm one of the best in the school.

Ring. When the bell rang, I was the first one out of the classroom. Finally school was over, and it was time for tryouts. I rushed to the girls' locker room and got changed out of my gray sweatshirt and black capris. I threw on some black basketball shorts, and Nike tank top, red and black basketball socks, and some red Jordans. I left my hair in a ponytail, and double-knotted my shoes.

"Are you going to the dance?" and annoying voice asked from the another room. "For sure! You know, I'm thinking about asking the new boy, Zak," another voice responded. "Yas, girl. You go for him. But do it before Summer. I know that bitch is going to ask him. She's so full of it. She thinks the whole world revolves around her just because of her stupid brothers."

This caught my attention. I peeked around the corner of the room and saw Tiffany, Charlotte, and Nicky talking. I knew right then, that Tiffany wanted Zak, and she'll stop at nothing to get what she wants. But why were they trying out? They hate anything that involves physical work.

"Why are we doing this again?" Nicky complained. "Uh! Because I heard Zak was into basketball, and this will totes impress him," Tiffany answered. So that's why they were trying out, to impress Zak. Well, I know they won't get in. They'll probably sue the school if the ball breaks their nails.

I heard a whistle from the gym, and so I grabbed my ball and headed to the gym. Tiffany, Charlotte, and Nicky trailed behind me, panting from the 20 foot jog.

"Okay ladies. My name is Coach Greg. Some of you from last year might know me. I'm the head coach of the Arrowville Middle girls' basketball team. I will accept nothing but the best from you, got it?" Coach Greg said. A few murmurs were heard in the gym, but that didn't satisfy Coach Greg. "I said got it?" Coach Greg repeated. "Got it!" I chorused along with the others. Charlotte tried to hide her snort, but the keen ears of Coach heard.

"Excuse me, Miss. Do you have something you'd like to say?" Coach asked. Charlotte gulped and squeaked, "No." "That's what I thought," he said.

"I expect you guys to be in top-physical shape to be on this team, you hear me? So drop down and give me 25," Coach said. We all dropped and did 25 push ups. I finished first, and Coach gave me an approving look. The Populars finished last—well, I wouldn't say finished. They did 10 on their knees, and still were out of breath. Coach shook his head and scribbled some notes on his clipboard.