Chapter 22 - Not Identified

Summer's POV

"Excuse me," Riley said after letting out a large burp. He stretched his arms back and put them around Autumn's shoulder. She shrugged them off and put on a look of disgust.

"Excuse you," she said while backing away. "It's flu season, and I'd rather not be sick." Tyler and I looked at each other before laughing. When Autumn gave us confused looks, we cleverly disguised our snickers as coughs. We all knew that Autumn would love to bask in Riley's presence, even Riley himself.

"Er—I don't think you can get sick from a burp," Riley said.

"Well just to be sure," Autumn said, before packing up her stuff and leaving the cafeteria. We all looked at each other before we heard frantic footsteps racing back.

"I forgot my jacket," Autumn explained, clutching on to faux fur lined coat. With that, she stomped away again, with her flaming red hair dancing behind her. The bell rung, so we too packed up our stuff to get ready for our next class.

"Nice going," I said sarcastically to Riley. "Now Autumn thinks you're just a disgusting piece of filth."

He shrugged.

"Meh, that's not different from what she always thought I was."

Tyler wiggled his eyebrows as if to say, "We know what Autumn really thinks of you."

"See you later!" Riley called after us and headed to his locker.

With a floppy wave of my hand, I plodded to my locker. After grabbing the necessary items for biology, I walked down the halls. Not going to lie, I almost crashed into a lot of people on my way over to the classroom. People gave me weird looks, but I just ignored them.

"Over here," a voice said when I got into the classroom. I looked to see Josh's smiling face looking back at me. He was waving his arm to motion for me to sit next to him. I gladly obliged, not wanting to sit the next to the Populars, and planted my bottom on the chair.

"Hey," I said simply.

"I heard that we're going to get our samples from the lab back today," Josh said enthusiastically.

"That's cool," I said, not knowing what to say. I didn't really care about whatever percentage I was. All I cared about was finding out why my parents left.

"Do you know when we're going to get our logins?" I asked, voicing my thoughts.

"Um, probably next class," Josh said, after pausing to think a while. "Yeah, I think that what she said."

I nodded and was about to say something else when the teacher walked in the room.

"Good afternoon students. As you may already know, today is an exciting day!"

We looked at each other, obviously already knowing what was coming.

"We will be receiving our samples from the lab today!"

The last few words were drowned out by the loud cheers that erupted in the classroom. The teacher made no effort to stop them, pleased that we were excited about science. A proud look flashed across his face.