Chapter 15 - Riley + Sugar = No Good

Summer's POV

"You're coming to the party right?" Autumn asked Riley.

"Of course! Why wouldn't I?" Riley responded. Autumn just shrugged and we continued walking.

We were having a secret Santa gift exchange. We were walking back from history, our last subject of the day. It was the last day of school before winter break, so the whole class was restless. I guess the teacher felt the same way because we just watched a movie during class. And by "watching a movie," I mean talking to your friends. The teacher just put on some boring documentary and left us to "watch" it. I mean sure, sometimes the movies are actually okay. But most of the time, like today, the movie was BORING.

During the movie, I noticed Zak talking with the Populars. It's been this way ever since the whole dance fiasco. He's been hanging out with them and ignoring me. But that's completely fine by me. I didn't want to talk to that jerk anyway! But seriously? Nicky? As much as I'd hate to say it, with his looks, he could score anyone in the class. But he chose Nicky? Well I'm gonna stop talking so I don't sound salty...because I'm not. I pinky promise!

"Summer! Can you hear me?" Tyler asked. I snapped out of my daydream and looked up at Tyler.

"Huh?" I said stupidly. Yup, that's me.

"I was asking if we had any homework. I wasn't paying attention," Tyler repeated.

"Oh. No, I don't think so," I answered.

"Okay, thanks."

I nodded and we kept on walking down the hallways to our bikes. I noticed Zak and the Populars, and tried to quickly look away. But Zak caught my eye. We just stared at each other for a while and then he shook his head, and continued to talk to Nicky.

Honestly, how could I have been so blind? I never realized how ignorant and arrogant Zak really was. Now that I think about it, I don't know what was so special about him. He wasn't particularly nice or funny. I think I was just so obsessed with the fact that Nicky liked him. And I just wanted to show him off. Wow, I really suck.

Ever since the dance incident, Josh stopped hanging out with the Populars. He's not really in our group, but we still talk to him from time to time. He usually hangs out with some other kids. Kids who I wouldn't be ashamed to call my friend.

"So we're going to the treehouse?" Riley asked.

"Yup," Autumn replied. "Make sure you have your gifts and your backpack."

We all nodded and got onto our bikes. We all, including Ethan, knew the route to the park from the school. Ethan got used to our group and now understands our stupid jokes. He fits in perfectly and we all love having him around.

We rode to the park and got there in a short five minutes. I unloaded by lime green backpack off of my shoulders and grabbed my gift bag. The others did the same and we made our way to the treehouse.

That treehouse held a lot of memories. From when we first discovered it when we were ten, to taking the first STARE Squad selfie. And even when I first met Screaming Hairy Armadillo, AKA Allison. That reminds me, Allison's still been bugging me about getting her with Blake. I've been putting it off, but I'm still worried that she might tell my brothers about the treehouse. The treehouse was the only place where I could escape the outside world. I didn't have to worry about my brothers or people at school. And if Allison tells my brothers, she'll take all that away from me...