Prologue: Here Comes Goodbye

Here comes goodbye

Here comes the last time

Here comes the start of every sleepless night

The first of every tear I'm going to to cry

~"Here Comes Goodbye" by Rascal Flatts

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Prologue: Here Comes Goodbye

Kennedy Everson's POV

Beauty. Something I never had. Something I never desired. I was happy with who I was. I was happy with being the smart, kind-of nerdy girl I was, with my perfect boyfriend, and my perfect parents, and our perfect house. But as it has once been said, "All good things come to an end."

It was a hot August day, walking hand in hand home with my boyfriend, Ryan, feeling the California heat on my pale shoulders. We entered his house, heading up to his room, and dropped our stuff off before walking down to the beach.

We stayed in silence, a very unusual thing for us, considering we spent most of our time having intellectual conversations with each other.

"What's wrong?" I asked, expecting him to make some remark like, 'I'm tired' or 'I'm hungry.'

"Kennedy," he began, but I stopped him.

"You only call me Kennedy when something's really wrong," I asked, feeling my heart break.

"I don't think this is working out, Kennedy."

"Why? Did I do something?" I asked, tears streaking my face.

"I just don't feel like this is working out. And you're a great girl, Ken, and you will find someone who cares about you, but that persons just not me," he replied as he looked down at the ground, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Who is she?" I asked, feeling a thunderstorm of tears rush down my cheek.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, trying to avoid my question.

"Who is the girl you're breaking up with me for?" I questioned.

"No one in particular. I just want a change in scenery, you know? I want a bad girl, okay?" he was answering, but I was already walking away, walking back to my house, which was only blocks from Ryan's.

I entered my usually empty house, incredibly surprised to find both of my parents home, conversing at the kitchen table.

"Mom? Dad? Why are you guys both home?" I asked. I couldn't remember the last time my parents were home at the same time.

"We need to talk. Will you please sit down?" My father answered, pulling out a chair for me.

"Did someone die or something?" I asked, and my parents laughed.

"No dear, we just have some important news to tell you," my mother replied, and then continued. "Your father's company has offered him a promotion, but in order for him to accept it, we have to move to San Antonio."

"Mom, that's amazing! But we'll be thirteen hundred miles from here!" I exclaimed.

"Honey, your mother and I realize that, but it's what's best for us as a family. We are leaving in two weeks, so you better start packing."

I ran to my room, both mad at my parents but yet happy that after two weeks, I won't have to see Ryan ever again. The only really hard thing about leaving was leaving my best friend, Charlotte. We had been best friends since the second grade, and she has stuck by me through everything. And now I was going to be leaving when we need each other the most- senior year of high school. We both grew up in Carlsbad, California, and knew each one of each others secrets.

The next two weeks of school flew by quickly. It was the beginning of the year, so my classes weren't that busy.

The day I was leaving, Charlotte skipped school to send me off, and we both ended up bawling.

"I will miss you so much, Char. I promise to call you once a week," I breathed out, tears falling.

"You better. Now, come here and give me a hug!" she exclaimed, squeezing me as hard she could.

"Kennedy, we need to get on the road," my mother called from the front seat of the moving truck.

"Goodbye, Charlotte. Thanks for the memories," I choked out.

"Bye. Call me, okay?" she replied, looking like she would explode.

I knew that I may never see Charlotte again. I knew I would never seen Ryan again. But I was okay with that. I was taking this opportunity to be a new version of me. A cuter, hotter, and overall better version.