Chapter 29: The Hero

Chapter 29:

Michael's POV

"Okay one of us have to go and 'hire a kayak'," Taylor says using quotation marks. "And then once you 'hire the kayak' you then go to the shed and we'll find out if Sierra and Luke are there or not. Simple plan!"

"Oooh I love that band!" Kayleen exclaims.

"Now is not the time!" Taylor shouts in a whisper.

"Why are we whispering?" Ashton whispers loudly and turns around to look at Jake leaning on the shed. "He's all the way over there."

"Focus, people!" Taylor says, finally not whispering. "Okay so who does Jake not know."

Everyone looks at me and I stare back with big eyes. Taylor smiles at me with hope in her eyes and I shake my head. "Nope, no way."

Taylor cocks her head to the side. "Aw Michael!" she whines. "Please?"

I turn to Ashton, "This is why I should've just gone to the movies with Calum."

"Do it for Luke!" Kayleen exclaims like she just convinced me completely. She did the exact opposite actually.

"We actually hate each other, actually," I turn to Kayleen.

Kayleen let's out a cute little laugh, "Oh right, Luke was telling me. But you've sorted everything out now though, haven't you?"

"Not really...we just became friends and-"

"But you're now in a band together, so go. Shoo!" Ashton says, waving his hands around at me.

I sigh, "Fine."

"Wait!" Kayleen calls out. "There should be this girl with bright pink hair and a nose piercing. She saw Jake and is convinced that he works there. Try to talk her out of it so he'll open the shed."

"Okay. Cool, thanks."

I walk towards the 'Hire a kayak' office and turn around to see the other three staring back at me. I turn back around at the office and walk in.

There was a girl with bright pink hair and a nose piercing just like Kayleen had said. "Hey," she said in a low voice. "Are you here to hire a kayak?"

"Yes," I say, rubbing my sweaty palms on my black skinny jeans. I was so nervous I would say something wrong.

"Um, okay...do you wanna work go get changed or something first? I'll get your kayak ready for you."

"What?"

She looks down at my jeans. "Are you going kayaking in your jeans?"

"Uh..." Shit. "Yeah," I reply quickly.

She raises her eyebrows at me in disbelief. "Do you have any valuables or anything you'd like to keep in a cubbyhole." She points to a huge shelf that was leaning against the  wall and had many cubbyholes built in them.

"Umm... No."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes," I reply too quickly. "Yes, I'm sure."

"Okay well go talk to that guy on the shed over there," she points at Jake who hadn't moved from his place. "He'll give you your kayak."

"That guy?" I ask with a disgusted look on my face.

She looks up at me with a blank face. "Yes."

I turn around to look at him and see him on his phone. "Are you sure he works here?"

"Uhh, yes."

"But he doesn't have a unifo-"

"Oh my god!" she yells. She was obviously having a terrible day...or maybe she is just a genuinely angry person.

"Is everything okay here?" an older woman came in walking through the entrance of the office. She wore a long orange top with black pants and pink shiny lipstick. Her short ginger hair was glistening under the small lights hanging around the office. She was short and plump and had two brown paper bags in her hand. She set one down in front of the pink haired lady.

"Yes," she narrows her eyes at me and looks back down at a paper she was reading.

"Um, excuse me miss." I said to the older woman who just walked in. The pink haired lady looked up at me again.

"How may I help you?" the older woman asks with a smile on her face.

"I would like to order a kayak please."

"Of course. Just for yourself?"

"Yes please." I run my hands through my messy hair. What if this doesn't work? What if Luke and Sierra are already dead by now? Why did I even agree to this?

"Abby, did you find the key to the shed?" the older woman asks the pink haired lady who's name was apparently Abby.

"Nah, it still hasn't showed up."

"Hmm, that's so strange. Where could it be?" the older woman pulled out a key from the drawer and looked out the office, passed my shoulder, at the shed. "Who is that man?" she asks, her eyebrows knitting together.

"Who?" Abby asks and looks up at the shed. "Oh, apparently you hired him...?"

"Me? Oh Abby, no, no, no. You know I would never trust anyone else but you and Rheyanne with these kayaks."

"Exactly, I don't know, it was weird. He told me that you hired him to help out with the kayaks or something," Abby shrugs.

"I'll go break the news to him," says the older woman. I had to bite my lip to stop myself from laughing. "Come on dear." I follow her out the office and towards the shed. I gulp when I see Jake staring at us walking towards him.

"Excuse me sir," the older woman smiles at Jake sweetly.

"Yes?" He asks, I could make out the strong British accent in his voice just by that one word.

"In all due respect, may I ask why you've been guarding this kayak shed for so long?"

"I work here." He answers simply.

"Sir, I own this kayak company and I hire people to work here and I do not remember hiring you to work here. Now if you'll excuse me, I would like to open my shed, thanks." Once again, I bit my lip to stop myself from laughing. God I love this woman.

Jake didn't move and neither did the older woman. They were both staring at each other for what felt like forever. Suddenly, I see Jake's hand lifting up in a fist. I pushed the older woman out of his way and felt the force of Jake's hand against my cheek. I fell to the ground and the last thing I saw were Jake's black, leather boots.

Taylor's POV

Ashton, Kayleen and I were all watching what was happening with Michael, Jake and this other old lady. They were talking when all of a sudden Jake lifted his hand and was about to punch the lady that was with Michael but instead, Michael took the punch and fell to the ground.

My eyes grew wide and my jaw dropped. Before I could think of doing anything, Kayleen had ran to Michael and was looking down at his bloody face. The lady who had been pushed out of the way was now as shocked as I was and another younger girl with bright pink hair came running out of the office and attended to the lady. Ashton was on the phone.

"Yes...yes...an ambulance too please...thank you." He put the phone down and looked at me for a second before running to Michael. This is all my fault. If it wouldn't have been my idea to let Michael go, or for us to even come here, Michael wouldn't be lying on the floor with blood pouring out of his face.

Jake was standing there looking at all of them, he still didn't know that I was here watching all of this. A couple of minutes later, the police came and Jake was about to run off, Ashton caught him by the shirt, pulling him back and dodging a punch just in time.

The police came and took over and shoved him in the backseat of the car. Another cop was talking to Ashton.

"The ambulance are coming," the cop told Ashton and Kayleen who were attending Michael.

Ashton took the keys from the lady's hand and opened the shed. A horrid expression spread across his face and he started shaking his head. One of the cops came and looked into the shed, the same horrid expression on his face.

Ashton looked at me with tears in his eyes, shaking his head. I tried processing this all in. Luke and Sierra were in there.

The ambulance arrived just in time. They took Michael in the ambulance. There was blood around his lips and he looked unconscious. The two ladies who came then looked inside the kayak shed and the same horrid face. They then took two people out of the shed and sure enough, it was Luke and Sierra. Their faces were pale and they had passed out. They were taken into the ambulance as well.

It was then when I walked over to Ashton, there was worry in his eyes. The police drove off and we were left alone with Kayleen, the ambulance and the old lady and pink haired girl.

"Your friends will be okay. They've just passed out. They must have been locked in there for quite a while without food and water. And as for," she lady looks down at her paper for Michael's name. "Michael. As for Michael, he'll be fine too. He just needs to be cleaned up a bit, he'll wake up soon. There's nothing to worry about, your friends are fine." She smiles.

"Thank you," Ashton talks for both of us. I give her a small smile before she drives off down the road and to the hospital.

And then there were five. Kayleen, Ashton, the older lady, the pink haired girl and I. There was a moment of silence before any of us spoke.

"So um...that was eventful," the pink haired girl laughs.

I glare at her, how could someone make a joke at a time like this. She looks at me, "Sorry, I just thought I'd-"

"It's fine."

"I owe your friend a lot," the older woman says suddenly.

"He's fine," Ashton nods. "He'll, he'll be fine."

"He is a great boy." There was another moment of silence but then the pink haired girl spoke up. "So you knew that guy?"

"Jake?" I asked.

"The one who uh, punched your friend," she replies.

"Yeah, it's a long story."

"We have time," she smiles.

"We should probably go and visit our friends and see how they're going and stuff," I reply, looking at Ashton.

"Yeah," Ashton nods.

"We're really sorry about everything that's happened. We didn't mean for any of this to actually happen. We're so sorry."

"No, its fine. What's your friends name? We might come visit him in hospital if he's still there."

"Michael Clifford," Kayleen speaks up after a long time of her being silent. "And I'm sure he'd like that."

"Thanks."

We were making our way to Ashton's car when the lady grabbed my arm with a strong grip. "Please tell Michael that I am very grateful for him. What he did today was heroic. I hope him and your other two friends get better soon."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So i was reading all the comments on the last chapter and they made me smile :') aw ily guys thanks for all the votes and comments!

This fanfic is going way off from what I planned it to be haha hope you are liking it though :)