Chapter 5

Billy Chambers was always the bully of the school. He was a fat kid and no one would dare stand up to him. He had tried bullying me once but I hit him where the sun doesn't shine and he never tried it again.

There was a new kid in town, he wore thick framed glasses and braces. He dressed without a care in the world of what anyone would say. He always wore baggy jeans and plain loose T-shirts while the other guys wore tight jeans and fitted shirts that showed up their muscles.

The others showed their wealth to the world whereas Devin didn't. Yes his parents were rich but he never told anybody. I always admired him from afar and I slightly started to develop a crush on him. I was scared to talk to him because I didn't want to be ridiculed for being around him.

Every time he was bullied I would always run away and hide, blaming myself for not being able to help him until one day when I couldn't take it any longer.

Billy had gathered the attention of the entire freshman year in the cafeteria to witness the humiliation of Devin Bates. That day I had decided that I would no longer be a witness to what Billy did to most of the kids so while the students threw their foods at Devin after being beaten up by Billy I ran to him and tried to stop it but it only became worse.

"STOP!" I shouted at the top of my lungs and food finally stopped flying around.

"Do you see what you've all done?" I pointed to a crying Devin holding his already broken glasses in his hands and different types of foods allover his body.

"Shut it girl and get out of the way!" The voice of Billy Chambers broke throughout the hall and without thinking I took a can of sprite on the table closest to me and threw it at him and it landed right on his head and the drink gently rolled down his face mixed together with his own blood.

Bulls-eyes I thought to myself. I did that without even breaking a sweat. The entire cafeteria broke out in chuckles.

His hands move to his head and touched the part that was bruised and when he brought down his hands to look at it his face turned red in rage.

"You bitch!" He shouted furiously charging towards me and before he could get to me the doors shot open and Principal Howard marched into the room together with some other teachers.

Perfect timing

"What's going on here?" Principal Howard asked as he got to where I was and the look on his face changed from anger to total disappointment and shame.

"Ms Jones take Mr Bates to the nurses office and get your self's cleaned up and after that come see me. You..." he pointed to Billy, "come with me. And everyone get to class, now!" He ordered and soon the crowd was cleared.

I took Devin to the nurses office where his wounds cleaned up. After I was sure he was okay I also cleaned up too because a few pieces of food was thrown at me then I headed straight to the Principals office.

Billy together with his bully friends where expelled and I only got two weeks suspension for throwing a can of sprite at Billy. After that day, Devin had stuck to me, he refused to let me go saying that I was his savior and he was forever indebted to me.

At the beginning of Sophomore year, Devin changed, he began to dress like every other child his age, he didn't flaunt his father's money but he was different. His dress sense changed, his voice became deeper, he started developing abs due to working out regularly. He stopped wearing his glasses and started using contact lenses, he stopped using braces and he became hotter. He joined the school basketball team and in a few months he became the schools team captain. Every girl wanted him and every guy wanted to be him but he never paid attention to anyone that wasn't me because I was the only person who stood up for him.