Chapter 14

Jasper is always the best at being himself and that's why I wasn't surprised when I realized he wasn't in school the next day. Things were getting better between us and with the little information Paige had given me about him, I was more confident facing him.

I took the books I'll be needing for my English class, this time around shoving my backpack into my locker, not feeling like going through my regular routine.
Done with my locker, I headed to Paige's locker to find her just closing her locker.

"Hey," I said in greeting.

Her gaze shifted to mine and she adjusted her books in her hands, "oh hey."

"I figured we could walk to class together," I linked our hands and we headed to class together.

When we got in she took her regular seat on the second row while I took mine at the back.

"Good morning class," the teacher greeted, walking into the class.

Instead of the old man I'm used to seeing it was a young man. No one responded to his greeting confused at the sight of the stranger.

He noticed our silence, "my name is Daniel Brynn, your substitute teacher. Mr Sanchez is unable to make it today."

The class was filled with chatters at his words. It took a while for it to go down and he spoke again, "so where did you guys stop?" he asked.

"We just finished Hamlet," someone in the front answered.

"Oh nice. Did he give you your assignments on it?" The teacher asked.

"No," the same person at the front replied again.

The teacher searched through some papers on his desk before he settled on one, reading out its contents.

"You are to work in pairs and write a report on the book, to be submitted in a week," he read out. "The following are the people working together..."

He reads all the names out and I only looked up when I heard my name "Jemma Jones and Jasper Vanderwall."

I guess I'll be doing all the work alone then.

During lunch I found myself sitted once again with my friends, paying no attention to whatever they were talking about. My mind kept wandering off.

Zayn tapped my shoulder and I turned to face him, "what's up?"

"Are you going to a party with us on Friday?" He asked.

"No, I'll pass," I shook my head. "I have movie night with Devin anyways."

"Come on, I hardly see you anywhere, you can bring Devin to the party," Zayn suggested.

I laughed, "no way." I said with a tone of finality.

The chatter on the table continued and I turned around when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

It's a pretty farmiliar guy, I'm sure I have one or two classes with him. He had blonde hair which was messy and his brown eyes sparkled with excitement, "hi, I'm Jace."

I pulled a lip tight smile, "hi,"

"I'm having my birthday party this Friday at my house," he pulled out a pen and paper from his bag, scribbling something on the paper then handing it to me, "and you're invited. I hope to see you there JJ," he walked away.

I blinked, once, twice before turning back around to face my friends. "What just happened?" I took a good look at the piece of paper. An address was roughly written on it.

"Jace just specially invited you to his party, which he never does, except to certain people. Everyone is usually invited to his parties but he invites only some specific people," Paige explained.