Chapter Thirty

Thank you for this beautiful new cover created by Nate. It is incredible and I love it.

My mother never uttered a single word against my aunt. And she always got this far off look on her face, like she remembered old memories. My aunt sometimes got that same look, and she shared a lot with my mom. I always saw my mother in her. And she still sees her in me.

She didn't say it, but I knew how much she misses my mom. In fact, she never really talked to me at all. The few days she would show up for dinner, the room was awkward, and I wanted to get out of there as soon as possible.

But one night, it was different. She came home early, and I just got back from school. And she wasn't the same, and you could tell she's been crying.

"Did you know that today was the day she left," it was a rhetorical question. She knew I knew.

"Yes, I'm aware."

"Did you know that I knew her mate," again, it was a rhetorical question. "I knew what he was planning. He was regretting rejecting her, so he wanted to get drunk, so his wolf will take control. He planned on getting drunk so that he could rape her. But I didn't do anything. I stayed silent, and because of that, she left. And because she left, she was killed."

I was floored. I don't think my mom knew just how much her sister blamed herself. Even I didn't know that.

"I loved my sister very much. But when she didn't shift, I left her to do what, persevere my social status," she was crying by the end of it. "I left her to deal with all this torture by herself. I didn't stop the abuse or the bullying. You know, I once saw her about to cut herself? And I still didn't do anything. There were so many signs but yet I ignored them all. Why did I do that? She was my sister, yet I turned my back from her."

"She never blamed you," I tried to calm her down, but I was interrupted by her.

"I know, she didn't blame me, she never could. She never said anything to us when we were so cruel to her. She just took it," she was sobbing now, but somehow she turned to me. "I need to know, do you your mother's powers."

"I don't know what you're talking about," I tried to deny it, but you saw it on my face.

"Please, I need to know are you like your mother."

"Yes but it's complicated-"

"Do you have your mother's powers," she interrupted me again.

"Yes, I have more powers than she does."

"Who killed her."

"I can't tell you," my tear ducts were burning from me trying not to cry.

"Yes you can," she snapped.

"No, I can't."

"Why?"

"Because I know what you'll do if you find out. And you will be killed, and I can not lose another person I care about."

She was now sobbing so much, that she couldn't speak. And I did what I do best. I was the shoulder that you cry on when you're sad. But I never asked for anything in return. And I'm okay with that.