Chapter Forty-three

A strange feeling washed over me when I saw her. It wasn't fear, surprise, I didn't feel fearful once I realized that her eyes were completely black. It was a calming feeling like I belonged here. I didn't feel threatened. I liked it. But I also loved my mate, and I had to go back to him. And that unconditionally love brought me back to reality.

Her black eyes continued to stare at me. Her pale skin was striking, and it seemed as if she was crying black ink. She was considered creepy to most people, but to me, she was like a warm hug from my mother.

A million questions swarmed in my head, and I couldn't decipher which one was more important. But I didn't have to choose. She did it for me.

"We must not wait. We must hurry I'm sorry we can't answer all of your questions. You have to understand something," she said grabbing my arms. "You have to die."

"What," I tried to ask, but she wouldn't let me.

"You have to die. Elena, you are not just an elemental. You were blessed with the breath of life," she tried to explain, but it was going over my head.

"Slow down and try to explain this better. What do you mean I'm not an elemental? Of course, I am, I have the same powers as my mother," I said to her like a mother would a child.

"No, you're not. You aren't an elemental; you are Life itself. Life and Death are two things that do exist. And you are one of them. In fact, you're both. When you were born, the version of Life before you found that you can fill her shoes. But Death found that you could fill her shoes as well. They blessed you both, causing you to have both of their powers. But nature is in overdrive. There is supposed to be two people that have different abilities. It is causing the world harm. You must give up your death powers. But the only way of doing that is on your deathbed, which is good because life is supposed to live here in the spirit world. I have a feeling that you don't want to be Death," she spilled everything she had.

"So, I have to die because I have some powers form strange people. What about my mate, I'm not leaving him," I fired back.

"Correct. Don't worry, I can't tell you this easily, but your mate was going to die. He is going to be with you in this realm. You'd still be able to live with each other and have kids. Everything will work out for you. But you must transfer your powers to someone you think will be a good candidate for them. Someone who has mastered death. You must leave. Tell your mate. He must leave his throne to someone he trusts. Go, now, before you lose control. I will explain everything in detail once you return her as our queen," and with that, I woke up gasping for breath with Eric hovering over me.

"Shh, it's okay, you're okay," he tried to calm me.

"I need to talk to you."