Chapter 6

"Melanie, babe, look I'm sorry."

You damn right he was sorry. He'd embarrassed her, he'd cause a rift that she didn't need. She'd known who she was. She'd know what she wanted. This wasn't the first time he pulled this. At first it was cute. She'd told him when she was ready. Now this.

"Go away, Mike." She had been on the brink of tears, but she wasn't about to cry. She hugged her knees to her and rocked on her bed. She'd done that a lot in this room. When she got in fights with her sister, the many times she had gotten Shaggs in trouble, because let's face it the boy was the scariest person she had ever known, and when her parents died. This time was different.

She was standing on her merits on this one.

You're a dreamer baby. Never stop dreaming and never let anyone tell you you can't.

She looked toward the window. Her mother's words rung in her ear. Her lips crept into a slow smirk.

"Baby, you are going to need to talk to me sooner or later. You know it's what we want. We discussed this."

"We didn't discuss a damn thing." She grumbled grabbing her coat and purse and putting it on. She stood up and walked to the window. She climbed out just like she did before growing up. She giggled as she crept of the roof and climbed slowly down the storm pipe. She looked up and smiled at the flickering night sky. She wasn't the good girl they thought she was. She didn't even know why she was sneaking out her childhood home at 22, but her heart raced unlike it had in a long time.

This was the part where she'd run across the street and knock on Shaggs window. She looked over at the dark Goodwin house. Her eyes focused on the garage that was closed. She sighed as a bellow of smoke came out of her lips. Her eyes darted at the house two doors down. The mailbox also read Goodwins. Shaggs house, that he lived with his wife. Her lips twitched into a sad smile. He wasn't her partner in crime anymore. They were adults now.

She wondered if she should have knocked on the door and introduced herself, but it was late. The last thing she needed was for his wife to think ill of her. She wanted to call him a lot more. It was times like now she needed a friend. A real friend to talk to. One who really got her. She pulled the door to her car. She planned to be gone for the rest of the night. She needed to think. She was stuck between two places she didn't want to be, a man trying to tie her down, and a family that didn't even believe in her.

She slid in the front seat and closed the door. She turned on the warm air as the radio came on. It was a country station, the song was played at her graduation so she knew it, well.

I hope you dance.

Her lips curved into a deviate smile she planned to dance tonight, and she knew just the right person she'd dance with.

* * * * *

Valerie walked into the family room where Dee and Cam was sitting in front of the television. The kids had all been put to bed. She'd heard a the unmistakable sound of a car swerving out of the driveway. She just rolled her eyes.More proof that her sister was immature. She needed to go back to school.

She noticed her boyfriend in the door way. He plopped on the couch running his fingers through his fresh cut fade. Valerie sat down beside him and nudged his arm."Hey."

"I mean seriously, what is her problem?" He sighed, "I love that girl, but she knows how to push my buttons."

"You ain't the only, one." Dee chimed in.

"Melanie is a free spirit." Valerie put it nicely.

"It's like she's in her own world. Where reality doesn't exist." He scratched the back of his head again.