Chapter 5

One word that always described Abe was neighborly. He could get along with anyone, and it was rare he didn't like someone he'd just met. Of course there were few exceptions. He took another sip of Val famous iced tea, studying Melanie's friend carefully. Just looking at Mike now, seemed completely in love with his "girlfriend" Melanie. Abe didn't understand why he was getting so worked up over a simple eye gesture. The Davison sisters were all endowed with beauty. A man would have to be blind not to notice. Men came in his shop and made passes at Val, and he'd just laughed off their attempts. Of course, these were mostly people he'd known for a long time. This man, Abe didn't know. Melanie smiled she leaned in intimately toward Mike. Mike scooted her chair over to his and kissed her cheek.

Abe shook it off and turned his attention around the table. The children. One new face he'd briefly been introduced to, Jamaal. He sat in a high chair right next to his cousin, Adrian. He could easily pass for Adrian's brother or even his slightly shorter twin. He was Deidra's son, and that was all that mattered.

When he'd last seen Deidra, she'd been withdrawn from him and from everyone else. The sweet, little boy seemed to make her happy again. All the girls seemed happy. The youngest sister, Camille, chatted and laughed with Deidra. She was the one he knew the least, but she seemed as kind as her sisters. Then he noticed the glistening chocolate pools of his hostess' eyes, making his heart hitch. He tried desperately not to ogle. Instead, he shot her a friendly smile. Her gaze fell then slowly returned to his, but this time, she held his. His heart felt as if it were ready to explode as he admired, the sweet smile across her pink lips and the bangs that strayed into her face. His fingers itched to push them away, just to cradle her cheek.

That's when he'd heard, "So, what do you think, Mr. Abe?"

He shook himself out of his thoughts. No wonder she'd held his gaze. She was asking a question. His face burned. "Um...I'm sorry. What?"

She giggled, along with the rest of the table. He looked around, feigning a laugh as well to save face.

Melanie spoke. "I was just saying we should make this a tradition. A Davison-Goodwin Christmas kind of thing."

His excitement piqued. "That sounds great, Melanie!" He held the side of her chair as he spoke. It was a good idea. He'd missed the girls.

"I was thinking we'd have everyone over for Christmas dinner." Valerie said.

Abe smiled at the idea. "That sounds great." He knew Isaac and his wife would be for it. Christian would need convincing, but Jacob wouldn't protest. The only one who'd need to be sold was Christian. "I'm sure Christian can get the day off from the bar."

Valarie looked around the table, picking her moment. Everyone was finishing up their dinner. Her eye caught Mr. Abe's gaze, and he shot her an encouraging smile and a nod. She'd been a ball of nerves through the meal, and even without saying anything, he'd made her feel better.

"I would like to say something." Melanie's boyfriend spoke before Val had a chance to. Obviously, he didn't know about her big announcement. He wasn't supposed to be here.

He took a breath, and with a bashful smile took Melanie's hand. Melanie, faced Mike, and if Val didn't know any better she'd say Mel's head was lightly shaking. "I just wanted to say that I met this beautiful, amazing woman three years ago, and I"ve even followed you on tour."

Valarie's eyes narrowed. "On tour?" she mouthed to Deidra.

Deidria shrugged.

"It's been a wild ride, baby, but we made it though."

"Yes," Melanie shouted, looking around the table her eyes wide and panic. "It's been a crazy ride, and we can talk about that later."

"No," Valarie snapped, "We can talk about this now, Melanie. What kind of tour? Was it while you were supposed to be going to class."