Chapter 15

"You're really good with kids Mr. Abe." Valerie giggled as he got off the train with Kayla. The two had been riding all of the rides together while Valerie watched the babies.

Valerie was sure the two would be besties by the end of the night. An odd feeling flushed over her, wishing Allen called. The divorce was final and he'd dropped off the face of the earth. She saw Kayla and Mr. Abe and think of Allen. A father just walking away could weigh on a little girl's self-esteem. She couldn't depend on Mr. Abe to fill that void, could she? He seemed willing, but she didn't know how long it would last. He had no ties to her family, but he had never had any ties to the Davisons and yet he had been the families 'Trusty'.

"Uncle Abie, can we get on the ferris wheel?"

Mr. Abe looked at Val.

"Um, Kayla why don't you settle down for a minute. You're going to run Mr. Abe ragged."

He pushed his lips together and shook his head. "No, I'm fine. Unless you want to."

Valerie just giggled. "No, I'm fine. I'm not really a big fan of carnival rides."

"It's part of the fun, Val."

"I'm fine watching."

"Okay." He looked down at Kayla, "I guess it's just you and me riding the ferris wheel."

"Yay!" Kayla squealed bouncing up and down.

Mr. Abe shrugged. "See you in a bit." He kissed Val's cheek unexpectedly but it isn't unwelcome. Valerie held her cheek and giggled as the cold imprint of his kiss warmed on the side of her face.

Valerie couldn't help but giggle when she watched the two race to the ferris wheel line. Mr. Abe seemed like a kid himself.

"Mr. Abe are you scared?" said the little girl gently swinging his hand while standing in line for the glittering ferris wheel. He looked down at Kayla's wide eyes as they got closer to it. It got bigger the closer they got. It was clear she was afraid. He lifted her in his arms.

"You don't have to be afraid, Kayla. I'll be right there with you."

His beard brushed against the side of her face causing a little giggle. She brushed her fingers through it. "Mr. Abe you have a beard like, Santa."

Abe laughed warmly. "I think Santa has me on the beard. It's not that white...yet."

"I are we going to see Santa too?"

Abe smiled. "We sure are, what ever you want, sweetie. What are you going to ask him for it for?" Abe still had a lot of Christmas shopping to do especially with the little kids. He wanted to get something special for Kayla.

"I want Santa to bring my daddy." She said, sweetly. "I miss him."

Valerie didn't talk about her ex-husband too much. He didn't really think about him. He was just a poor dote that let Val go. "Have you asked your dad if he can see you on Christmas."

Abe was sure could be accommodating. Issac's room was a guest and he had no hard feeling toward the guy.

She ran her fingers along the fleece on his collar. "I haven't talked to him."

"What like lately."

"He said mommy was moving us away. He said I needed to take care of my brother." Her eyes were big and wet with tears.

He bounced her. He wanted to ask more questions. He didn't want to think her dad had abandoned her. Maybe he was in the army. Abe hadn't heard Val say anything about it, and he was almost afraid to question her about that either. He thought of the day she truly could confide in him, even when she she was taking care of the girls she rarely did that. It was only recently he'd realized that under that tough exterior, she was a sweet giving person that had to grow up way too fast. "I'm sure Santa will do the best he can. Anything else, princess?"