Chapter 3

Valerie bit back a laugh when she came into the kitchen noticing Dee over the stove with a spoon to her lips sneaking a sample of her stew. She cleared her throat causing Dee to jump and her hand shook spilling drops all over.

Valerie shook her head as she finished putting on her jacket.

“Where are you going?” Dee huffed as her lips twitched into a smile. She placed a hand on her hip.

“I have to go next door and take care of Ms. Anderson’s house while she’s on vacation.”

Dee’s smile thinned out, “That old witch is still alive?”

Valerie shook her head. She knew her sisters didn’t always get along Ms. Anderson that lived next door. She was a strict older lady that helped her with her sisters, along with Mr. Abe. She was the one who had to be strict on the girls so Dee’s comment wasn’t suprising. Though she thought it was a little uncalled for. Dee had grown up, and even had a child of her own, Valerie thought by now she would understand her neighbors tactics, but Val just shook it off.

“Since you want to be in my pots,” Valerie scolded, “You can take the casserole out when the alarm goes off.

Dee pushed her red lips together as Valerie made her way out the back door. She stomped down the driveway with the trash bin bringing it to the curb. The dry cold air pushed against her skin. She smiled as she passed up Dee’s silver Impala and Melanie’s Camry. She sucked in the refreshing winter air through her nose and blew it slowly out of her mouth creating a cloud. All the Davison sisters were together under the same roof, in the same house they grew up in. She felt her mommy and daddy smiling down on her.

Tonight she was going to make everyone proud. At least she hoped. Her heart took off just thinking about.

“Well, hello there Val.” Mr. Abe walked over wearing his usual charming smile and his jean jacket with a fleece collar. A proud great dane walked at his side. Mr. Abe had had Garth for a long as she had known him and the monster sized dog had always accompanied him on his morning and sometimes mid afternoon runs.

Valerie smiled, ‘Hey Mr. Abe,” she scratched Garth behind the ear.

“So you finally got the brood together, eh?” He smiled looking at the cars in the drive way.

“Yep. Finally, we’re all under the same roof again.” Valerie smiled, “I’m just headed to take care of Ms. Anderson’s cats and then back to preparing for tonight.”

Mr. Abe smiled, but his eyes seemed vacant. Val didn’t think vacant was the word but he seemed dazed as he looked at her.

Val gently ran her tongue over her chapped lips. Wishing she’s had her chap-stick or lip gloss. “Um…Mr. Abe?”

He shook out of his daze and cleared his throat. “Yes.”

She tucked a curl behind her ear. “Would you mind coming to dinner tonight.”

His eyes widened.

“I know it’s short notice, but… I guess…”

“You need moral support?” He smiled knowingly. He knew her all too well.

She nodded. “Yeah, I mean, I’m sure the girls are going to love the idea, but I just want to make sure we’re all on the same page. I want their support in this.” You would have thought she was bring her idea to a board, or even her parents.

Abe stuffed his hands in his pockets. “Say no more. I’ll be there.” Of course he’d be there. He had been there for her as she vented ideas to him when she was putting together her business plan. She knew she could count on him for support and it made her feel warm inside.