Chapter 28

"Thank you so much for coming out with me tonight." Valerie smiled sliding her beer on her napkin toward her, "I'm just sorry, I didn't have a better place to take you to, this is really the only place in Vincentville open at this time of night."

Mike, looked around absorbing the small musky building that was probably older than both of them combined. "Not exactly what I'm used to, but it has it's charms." He raised his glass of rum and coke with a curt nod, "I'm just glad we're able to talk. I think you are Melanie's voice of reason."

Valerie just shrugged as she sipped her beer. Not the most feminine drink in the world, but she didn't want to get drunk. She'd had her father in mind when she invited Mike out for drinks. This was as close as Melanie would get to having her father talk to the man she planned on marrying. He was still committed after everything Melanie pulled. She was sure that he knew Melanie like she did. Melanie was just trying to get attention, "I'm sorry again about Melanie. She never even used to hang out with Christian." She sighed looking at the blue and silver label on her beer. She remembered her daddy, when he'd sit in front of the TV watching some football game, a beer in one lap and her in the other.

To that day she had never understood football, but she'd understood being swung around when Daddy's team scored and the silly dance they would do. She felt blessed that she had gotten the most time with their parents, but it still wasn't long enough.

"Valerie, I know it's cold feet." His light brown eyes softened as he smile, "I'm not as mad anymore. I know as soon as we get to Atlanta, I'll have my old Melanie back." She shrug. "Tell me about you Valerie. Is it true you raised your sisters."

Valerie giggled awkwardly as her cheeks warmed. "I don't know about that. The girls pretty much were sure they had everything figured out when I stepped in. I just made sure they were fed, clothed, and they did their school work. I wasn't their parent and no one hesitated reminding me." She blew a breath out of her nose. "I guess you could say we raised each other...and as much as I hate to admit it Mr. Abe helped, even though I didn't want him to."

He chuckled. "Why wouldn't you want help? You had three strong minded, strong willed sisters...and you were"

She giggled."Twenty."Her eyes fell, "I dropped out of college, and got a job at Nelly's" She thought.

"Ouch, how did you survive."

"I had a lot of guardian angels. I was always getting some big tip from somebody." She shrugged, "At first I didn't accept them. I didn't want to be a charity, but Nelly kept this big jar in her office and marked it Valerie's tips, she told me to use it when ever I needed the money to just take it."

Mike just smiled, "I thought I had pride issues."

"Some people hate this little town, but it's a family here. I'm almost sorry I left."

His eyes narrowed. "Why did you leave?"

"I just needed a change. I wanted to try college again. Then I met my husband, and got pregnant, got married, divorced and now I'm here talking to you."

He chuckled. "What happened?"

"He wanted me to share." She admitted. She had never really opened up about her marriage, she was surprised it didn't hurt as much as it used to. There was still that lump, in the back of her throat when she thought about explaining to Kayla why Allen hadn't been calling. If he'd stopped caring about her. She'd known about his other family. Valerie was sure they were more demanding. She knew she'd make herself insane wondering how someone could just walk away and pretend as if they never existed.

She wasn't even sure if he was paying the child support, she just know, she hadn't received a check or anything. Her number hadn't changed. It was something she had to accept.