Chapter 40

Abe didn't like lying to Kayla, about anything including being Santa. He was Santa's helper, which was true, for the most part, he'd also wished he'd asked about letting he open at least one gift before she went to bed.

"Mr. Abe, do you know if Santa picked up Daddy?"

Abe's eyes trailed to Valerie's. Her eyes fell as she shook her head. His lips thinned not knowing how to answer. "I don't know, Kayla I'm sure he'll do his best." He rocked his knee, maybe we could give him a call." The word trailed off as he looked at Valerie again and she shook her head. Abe's heart fell. Was he somewhere with out a phone? He didn't want to question it but it wasn't his place, "We'll just hope for the best." He said not knowing what else to say.

"I think you better get to bed, princess. Don't want you missing the real Santa."

"Mommy always reads me a story." She said as Abe lifted her up in his arms. Again his shot his attention over at Valerie. He didn't want intrude.

"If you're not busy Mr. Abe." Valerie spoke.

Abe shook his head with a wide grin. "Then I would love to, princess."

Kayla clapped her hands together. "Yay!" Kayla had never been that excited when she did it, but he was a man dressed as Santa Claus. Than again, deep down Valerie wonder if it was just Mr. Abe. She hated putting her trust in another man with Kayla. This wasn't just her heart. Kayla was smart, she'd figure out that Allan wasn't coming back. She needed to find a way to protect her from that hurt. She didn't know if she could and it left a sharp stab in her heart.

"So what do you read. 'A Night Before Christmas' that's what I read to my boys." He said as he carried her up stairs.

"Olivia." She said.

"I don't know if I've read that before."

While Mr. Abe occupied Kayla, Dee and her were able to tuck the boys in.

Her eyes went over to Kayla's bed Mr. Abe in his Santa suit reading her favorite Christmas book an antlered Garth at his feet, Kayla slowly dozing. Her heart want wanted to embrace it. Why couldn't she? Why couldn't this be the norm? Why couldn't he heart just let itself fall?

When Kayla was asleep he tucked her in placing a gentle kiss on her temple. He didn't stop there, he'd went over to the younger kids kissing them gently as well tugging the covers up. You would have thought these were all his kids. He then walked over and hugged Dee.

"Merry Christmas, Sweetheart." He whispered to her. He then reached out his hand to Valerie to shake her hand. "Merry Christmas Val." So sweet and then so casual with her.

"Merry Christmas Mr. Abe." Dee said.

Valerie followed him to the door. "Mr...um...Abe." She swallowed pushing a curl behind her ear.

He turned, "Yes, Valerie?"

"You didn't have to do that." She said.

"I know." He said as he turned and left.

Valerie closed the door behind her. "Mr...um..." She closed her eyes. "Abe." She blew out a breath as her eyes trailed to Garth sitting next to him. Mr. Abe tilted her head upward.

"What is it Val?"

She swallowed thickly as her heart pushed hard against her chest. "Merry Christmas."

He blew out a misty breath, "Merry Christmas, Val"

"He's not coming back, Abe." She blurted.

His eyes grew big and sympathetic.