Chapter 11

Valerie made breakfast in a rush. Everyone that was up got breakfast and everyone else was on their own.

"I can't believe Mr. Abe is making you work this week."Dee said as she helped set the table.

Valerie sighed. " I don't mind. I guess I could use the extra work."

Dee giggled. "I'd hate to think of Mr. Abe as your own personal Scrooge."

Valerie smiled as she set a large plate of pancakes on the table. "I don't think he's capable of it."

"Good morning, ladies."

Valerie looked up to find Melanie and Mike. Something was different in them. Mike even pulled out her chair.

"Well, well, well." Valerie rested her hands on her hips.

"Looks like somebody got some action last night." Dee whispered.

Valerie nudged Dee.

The two were giggling and nuzzling like love birds.

"Go ahead babe." He said.

Melanie looked at Valerie. "Valerie, you can have the money." She smiled.

Valerie's eyes widened.

"Wow!" Dee took the words out of her mouth.

Valerie was shocked that at was the first pleasant meal with the family, she almost hated having to go to work. But she heard Abe's horn outside and left.

"Well, you're in a good mood." Abe said as she slipped on her seatbelt.

Valerie shook her head still in disbelief."Mel, told me to take all the money."

Abe's eyebrow quirked. "You're kidding."

Valerie let out a laugh. She still didn't believe it. "Crazy right?"

"Why would she let up?"

"I'm guessing Mike agreed to fund her little project."

Abe's lips thinned. Val hated that look but she'd had Melanie's permission.

"I guess that makes it a win-win." He said. Valerie thought she heard a condescending tone in his voice.

She grit her teeth.

"I saw this in the morning paper." He slid a colorful advertisement in her lap. It was always a breath of fresh air how old fashioned Mr. Abe was. The fact that he was one of the few that still had his paper delivered every morning was always something Valerie noticed.

She studied the paper.It was about a Christmas festival.

"Your parents and I used to take the girls to that every year."

Valerie smiled. The girls knew Mr. Abe better than she did, she felt like she was just getting to really know him. "You're thinking we should rekindle an old tradition."

"Why not?" He looked back at her with a twinkle in his eye.

"I think the kids would love it. There is a light show, rides, games..." He smiled.

"You don't have to sell me." She laughed, "I think all of these kids need something to do to keep them out of trouble. Children and adult kids."

Abe laughed with her. "Well it's settled than. A family outing it is."

Valerie couldn't believe the work load Mr. Abe had. He had taken the weekend off because of the girls and everything backed got backed up. She glanced over at Mr. Abe in the shop. He always seemed at home working with cars. She had to admit it was a sight to see. Especially in the summer when his shirts would stick to his muscular build. Not even she could deny Mr. Abe that.