26

Being a nearly graduated nurse, you would think that I saw the symptoms. For another week after exams I was constantly sick. It wasn't until now that I realised what was going on. I finally noticed all the little changes in my body. It was the day I had been dreaming of these past three years. Graduation. But today wasn't just my graduation, it was the determining of my future.

I had passed the 'medicine' isle on three different occasions on three different days, trying to pluck up the courage to get the little test off the shelf. But today, I was going to to it. I had to know before my graduation ceremony. So I drove to the nearest Coles at 7am when they opened so no one would see me. I hid it in a basket amongst a bag of potatoes and a jar of Nutella, my latest cravings. I somewhat felt embarrassed as I scanned the tiny box in self serve. What would I do if it's true?

Despite my nerves, I decided not to take the test until right before my graduation. So you know, if I faint I kind of have a good reason. I had been trying to get in contact with Colby, but he wasn't answering. He didn't reply to my texts, neither did Joe. I even texted Jon, but with no surprise there wasn't a reply. I put Colby in the back of my mind and focused on today. No one was going to ruin my day.

For once, I spent time doing my make up. I made sure every drop of foundation was blended perfectly, and my winged eyeliner matching. I struggled a little with my false eyelashes, changing my mind from the full ones and putting on a pair of half lashes. I straightened my hair, separating it evenly over my shoulders and back. I wore a red dress I bought specially for this. It as a little red dress, made of satin that had a slight plunge and wrapped nicely at the waist. Even though you wouldn't see most of it due to my gown, I still loved it. I sat on my bed, looking at my photo wall and laughing as I pulled on my heeled boots. The same black boots I left at Colby's hotel room after our first date.

I felt beautiful as I stood in front of my mirror and took selfies which is something that I didn't normally do. I posted one on instagram with the caption Just one hour to go #nearlyanurse

It was scary to think that everything had gone by so quickly. Three years of study, six weeks with Colby. I almost can't believe I wasn't going to go. Things would have been so different if I hadn't have, and it wouldn't have been for the better. I heard the excited voices of other students leaving accomodation to get ready for the graduation parade. I swallowed the lump in my throat and quickly took the test. Re adjusting my outfit and hair as I waited for result. I slid on the gown, securing it nicely on my shoulders. Everything felt too real. I put on my graduation cap before I peaked at the test. I let out a breath before joining others in preparation for the parade.

If I hadn't have been proposed to with a promised ring on TV I probably would have been petrified to walk around the streets of the city as the media filmed us. I noticed a few other camera people that didn't fit in with others, guessing they were taking photos of me. It wouldn't surprise me if there was a headline later, 'Rollins' girlfriend graduates'. I smiled and walked back in to the grounds of the campus realising I had made it.

I took my seat and listened to the vice chancellor rabble on about something. All I could think about was how much I wanted Colby to be here. I zoned off into my own little world as I waited for the nursing students to be called. My heart started pounding in my chest as the head of the college of medicine started reading out names.

I was praying that I didn't faint or vomit or do both. It wasn't just me graduating, there was two of us graduating. I rubbed my stomach lightly, earning a funny look from the girl next to me. I just shrugged and smiled at her which was a shock to her as it wasn't something that I would usually do. I was Caitey, the quiet girl. Now I'm Caitey, the girl whose in love with a wrestler and is no longer a push over.

"Caitey Gillon" my heart skipped a beat as my name was called, but I stood up and made my way to the stage as people clapped. I shook the hand of the vice chancellor and the head of the college of medicine as I heard one distinctive yell.

"Yes! That's my nursey" I followed the gaze of most people to see none other than Jon and Joe standing near the back clapping. But no Colby. I walked off the stage with my very expensive piece of paper for the group photo before being attacked by Jon.

"Nursey!" He yelled, picking me up and swinging me around.

"Jon!" I yelled back, laughing. Joe shook his head but held a proud smile.

"When did you guys get here?" I asked, looking behind them.

Jon shrugged. "We got here earlier today, we couldn't miss your graduation" Joe said, giving me a hug.

I was glad to see the boys, but they weren't quite the boy I was looking for. Again, I looked behind Joe's shoulder, hoping to see the head of curls that I loved.

"Looking for someone"

I gasped and spun around to see Colby standing behind me with an amused expression.

"Colby!" I yelled, thrusting my degree into Jon's hands before running at Colby. He caught me with ease and held me in his arms whilst I breathed in his scent.

"You didn't think I would miss your graduation did you?" He whispered in my ear, kissing my neck.

"I missed you so much" I whimpered, feeling tears coming on.

"I've missed you too princess."

People stared on as Colby the wrestler who stomps on peoples for a living, held me in his arms not letting go. When he spoke he had a edge to his voice. Not just any edge, the 'porn night' edge. Maybe he'll have to wait a little while.

"So does this make me a nurse now?" Jon asked, holding up my degree.

"No ambrose, it doesn't" Colby laughed, handing his phone to Joe. Colby and I got photos together, followed by ones with Joe and Jon and then a shield photo to finish it all off.

"Come on nursey" Jon said as he, Joe, and Colby had their fists outstretched. Wait, this was the shield fist bump. Joe raised and eyebrow at me and the poor random student Colby made take the photo looked confused and terrified.

"Come on" Colby whispered as all the boys were waiting on me. I raised my fist slowly and bumped it with Colby and Jon's. A lot of people looked at us confused, but the few wrestling fans knew what was going on.

I had my professional photos taken, the boys photobombing of course. The photographer didn't like Jon's direction, which lead to him threatening to poor man with a dirty deeds. What had my life become.

"So nursey" Jon said after we walked away from the group of other graduating students.
"Tonight were have a celebratory dinner" he stated.

I nodded and squeezed Colby's hand, enjoying the fact that it was holding mine again.

"Can I wear your gown?"

Yaaaay! Colby's back!
Now I guess she has to tell Colby 🤷🏼‍♀️

Please vote!

Unedited.