Chapter 44 - The Godfather Becomes a Problem

don't forget to name the chapter maybelline or otherwise i'll hate you forever u dumb bitch

ok good thx but also love you girl <3

literally, these were my notes before I published this chapter ^^^??? I have so many questions to myself???? Why am I like this??? Glad I changed the title at least lmao

//

Waking up by the sound of a cry was something I, unfortunately, was getting used to. My sleeping schedule was getting fucked up and I wanted nothing more than to shut the door to the bedroom in order to quiet the constant noise. But, I was a mother now and had to accept my responsibilities. With that being said, I sat up in the bed to prepare to calm Nova down for probably the seventh time tonight. And it was only two hours past midnight.

"I can take her if you want?" Justin's muffled voice was heard next to me and I felt my body jump slightly out of surprise. I hadn't noticed him waking up, usually, he didn't. "You've been up all night."

"You've got work tomorrow," I reminded him and placed my hand on his chest to stop him from sitting up, "I'll take her."

He didn't argue and I knew he was happy with my insisting. We were only on our second month since Nova had been born and neither of us was getting enough sleep. She's constantly crying and screaming for attention, something I (even though he would never admit it) think she's gotten from her father. His mood had been just as up and down as our baby's mood had been. One day he was acting like the happiest and luckiest man on earth and the next he refused to come home early from work in order to miss out on some time with Nova. I didn't blame him for needing space sometimes, considering our child was a hand full, but I hated the way he had the ability to say he's working late even though I knew he was just avoiding coming home to us. I was the one who constantly had to be at home with her and take care of her. It wasn't like I could just take some time off as he did.

Either way, I shouldn't complain. We had our child together and Justin was more present in this parenthood than I first thought he would be. It was surprising that he only took time off sometimes. I had expected him to be away a lot more, especially after noticing how much hard work it was. But I also shouldn't be surprised, he had raised a child before. He had already been through this before.

Speaking of Noah...

"...Are you going to talk to Marissa about the custody thing again?" I don't know why I brought it up but I had just taken a crying baby in my arms and the minute I touched Nova, she calmed down and went back to trying to sleep. I was rocking her back and forth, hoping for her to stay so which was the only reason I was whispering to Justin.

He hummed but I didn't know whether or not it was a yes. He had been quiet ever since he lost the case against Marissa but that was a long time ago now and he only seemed interested every now and then. It was like he wanted to be able to choose when to be Noah's father, which wouldn't be too surprising considering he was kinda choosing when to be with Nova. I was good at talking him up when it came to my friends, they all wanted to know what a man like Justin was as a father. I didn't lie when I told them that I wouldn't want to do this with anyone else but I had a thing for exaggerating his skills. He was always near in the beginning but the more Nova grew, the more he stayed away from home.

"Talk to me," I whispered into the thin air, expecting a reply from someone who was nearly back to sleep. He hummed again and I realized it was sort of hopeless, I let a sigh out before looking down at my sleeping daughter in my arms, "You and daddy are very alike, you know."

Suddenly, the sleeping man next to me opened his eyes with a grin on his face. I squeezed my eyebrows together with a confused look, his eyes telling me something I couldn't exactly make out.