Chapter 44: Waiting

-Ava's POV-

I stare into the broken mirror in front of me, trying to fix my face so it doesn't look like I've been crying for the past hour.

It's over... really over.

Did I really just let him walk away? Of course you did Ava, he was being a complete jerk!

"You do know there's a line outside right?" A skinny blonde behind me asks.

"Yeah sorry." I say, stepping away from the sink so she can use it.

"Some asshole break your heart?"

"What?"

"I work here and I've seen more than my fair share of crying in this bathroom. You have the looks of a broken heart." She says, drying off her hands.

"I think I broke my own actually. If that makes any sense."

"Sure it does. I've ruined one or two relationships all on my own. He basically just stood by and watched the show."

"Well he didn't just stand by. He fought and fought but I never let him win." I defend Harry.

"Can I give you some advice honey?"

I nod as she hands me another tissue.

"If you actually found someone who's willing to go through hell just to try to have a relationship with you, NEVER take their love for granted. You won't ever find it again. You'll end up a forty year old waitress with an empty bed and a heart full of regret."

She pats me on the back and heads out the door, leaving me with her words of advice.

I check my face once more, wiping my eyes. Its no use, my eyes are red and my face is flushed. I give up and head outside where I'm surprised to find Lou waiting for me in the hallway.

"You okay love?" She asks, giving me a hug. "I saw Harry leave a bit ago and it looked like things may have went poorly between you two."

"More like absolutely entirely horrible." I tell her truthfully.

"What happened?"

"I yelled, he yelled." I shrug my shoulders. "I basically told him to get the hell out of my life and he pretty much said he'd be more than happy to."

"Did you really mean that?" She asks, shocked.

"Of course not. But it seemed like the appropriate thing to say at the time. And he didn't try to fight me on it."

"Really Ava?" She shakes her head at me.

"What?"

She pulls me out of the hallway and directs us towards a small private table. Sitting down across from me, I can tell from the look on her face I'm not going to enjoy what she has to say.

"I've tried to stay out of this Ava, but it's gotten to the point where I really need to say my peace."

"Well on with it then, my night can't get any worse." I sigh.

"I love you Ava. We haven't known each other that long, but I view you as a dear friend. Which is why I feel the need to ask you what the hell you are thinking. 'He didn't try to fight me on it'?! Harry has done nothing but fight for you since day one!"

"I know Lou." I say quietly.

"But do you? Do you really?" She asks, "Harry is like a little brother to me and I know him better than most. But I've never seen him like this before. It's like he physically hurts when he's not around you. Do you feel anything for him? Cause if you don't this needs to stop, I won't allow it to go on. But if you do then you need to give the lad more than just hope that you may 'some' day be willing to give him everything he gives to you every day. Harry deserves more than that and you know it."