Prompt 6 || Picture Prompt

Welcome to our newest flash fiction prompt! Please submit your entry in the comments below. Remember that you can interpret the prompts either literally or figuratively, provided that there is a clear link between the prompt and your entry.

PICTURE PROMPT:

WINNERS:

Please note that winners are not listed in any specific order.

***

Winner 1: The_word_dream

The young girl sat oblivious to her surroundings.

The house that nestled in middle of the lush green forest was nothing short of magic, from the sheer curtains made from yards spider silk to the carefully crafted furniture made from a marble so white that it seemed to glow under the moonlight streaming in from the windows. Everything was breathtakingly beautiful.

But it all paled before the man that stood before the girl, holding her gaze imprisoned in his. 

Entranced, she couldn't look away from his golden eyes even if she wanted to. 

His face was an artist's dream.

"Would you like a drink?" He asks as he carefully removes the crystal stopper to pour a drink, "this here tastes like love—soft but vibrantly flavoured, like the colours of a settings sun." 

She gulps, overcome by a sudden thirst.

Her hands fidget nervously and her heart is a frantic bird trapped inside a cage. But she is far removed from awareness and instincts that warn her to flee.

Only he exists.

"Yes, thank you." She answers demurely. As she accepts the crystal glass their finger brush for a fleeting moment causing her lips lift in a shy smile.

Fool. 

If only she'd known— you never accept food or drink from a faerie.

***

Winner 2: theanoh

Each step cracks as his foot land on grass and sticks and dirt. Arnie doesn't have the mind to look at what he stepped on as he try to find balance in walking and securing the little things he's picked. He recounts the ones sitting on the fold of his shirt: a blue bottle cap, two tiny flowers, and a plastic ring that can fit on three fingers. Arnie decides he needs one more before he goes to show off his collection to his sister that is also hunting for treasures on the other side of the tent.

"Arnie!" It's his mother, and Arnie knows from her tone that she's looking for him. "Arnie?"

"I'm here!" He shouts back and waves for his parents to see him. They simply nod at his direction.

"Don't go too far, honey. Stay where we can see you."

"Yes, mom!"

Arnie resumes the hunt and he doesn't have to search for long when he spots a mushroom next to a tree towering over him. It's small and almost covered by grass and dried leaves but he can see it, purple and glowing under the light of the sun. He's close to plucking it from the ground when his head hits something.

"Ow!" He frowns and cranes his neck, finding a wooden board with a writing on it. While rubbing his head to ease the pain, Arnie straightens up and tries to read the sign.

"Here... be... f-far...fae-?" His brow furrows when he realizes he doesn't know how to say the last word. Arnie turns to call for his mom or his dad to ask about it but he doesn't see them. He starts to grow anxious when he couldn't get a view of them but a glow of light catches his attention. When he looks back, he finds the glow of light coming from the wooden sign. The letters are moving! White and bright lines swirl, overlapping with each other and then merging into one. His eyes were wide as he watch the curling light spread out on the wood to form a new word, one that Arnie recognizes.

"Welcome." He mutters under his breath.

***

Winner 3: Pastel_2710

The trees towered above the winding road, their branches reaching tall for the sky. Leaves rustled and whispered, their collage of green enchanting with their vivid colours. Taking a deep breath, the man stepped forward, marvelling at the beauty of the forest around him. The road had continued as far as the eye could see, and the cold was beginning to nip at his skin and make his bones ache. He knew he was defying his orders- he shouldn't be here, he was too ill. But he had to find them. The ones he saw when he was a young boy.

Continuing the walk, he breathed in and out sharply. Each breath sent a ferocious shooting pain through his body. He gritted his teeth. But as he raised his head recovering, he noticed it. On one of the front trees, just ahead, a board had been nailed onto the trunk.

"Faeries ahead."

A huge grin spread across his face, the pain that once resided in his weak frame seemingly vanishing. He'd made it- this was it. 

He still remembered the night he saw them all those decades ago.

And tonight, he would see them again.