Expected unexpected

As the day moved gradually towards night my school friends left.

They would be staying at their families homes while they were in town for the next week. Before they left they made promises to come and visit again.

This left just the wolf pack and its extended members and my father with me, Edward and Renesmee.

Carlise and Esme were the first to leave. Carlisle was oncall at the hospital and they needed him so Esme went home. Jasper needed to go hunting and Alice followed because she wanted to get out of the blind zone.

Emmett and Rosalie left a few minutes ago taking about 'extracirricular activies'. The couple had their eyes on a cozy spot in the woods by the Cullen house.

I sat as far away from the fire - without Renesmee leaving my sight - in Edwards arms.

Renesmee was fast asleep in Jacobs arms. I wanted more then anything to take her home and tuck her in her bed but Edward said my father wanted to tell me something so I should stay just a little while longer.

Of course he wouldn't tell me because he thought it'd be better from his mouth.

I kept my ears trained on my fathers words trying to find a hint of what he wanted to tell me but he never let up. It was like he knew I had perfect hearing, he was so careful with his words.

Then he stood up and I found my body reacting, sitting up straighter in Edwards arms, not wanting to miss a single thing.

Beside him stood Sue, Billy's sister and Jacobs aunt.

"I was actually going to save this announcement for another day but it seems like all the important people are here-" He paused, looking around at us all. "-Well most of the important people" He corrected himself. "So why not go ahead. Sue and I are engaged to get married." He said. I could hear the happiness in his voice.

I froze.

My fathers eyes found there way over to me and I forced a smile on my face. I gave him a thumbs up which he seemed to cause him to smile harder.

The only thing I could think of though was what this meant.

I now understood why Seth was excited and Leah was upset. They were about to become step siblings with myself and my vampire siblings as well as the niece and nephew to Carlisle and Esme.

This also meant Jacob was now my cousin.

When my father looked away I buried my head against Edwards chest, allowing my hair to fall over my face to hide the hardened expression that was filling my face.

Edward who seemed to feel my anxiety wrapped his arms around me.

"Are you ready to go home now?" He said in my ear.

Without answering I rose to my feet.

"Sorry to leave so quickly but I should get Renesmee home, its suppose to drop past 30 in the next hour and I don't want her in this cold." I explained as I lifted her from Jacobs arms.

As I cradled Renesmee I looked at Jacob. "Are you coming?" I asked him "or are you staying at your dads?"

Jacob rose to his feet and followed.

Of course he was coming with us. Just like that night in the mountains during the fight with the newborns he was Renesmee's space heater.

The cottage didn't have heating in it simply because vampires don't freeze. But with Renesmee getting a heater was a priority until she told us she wanted Jake to be her heater.