Protectors

The next morning at school I gained alot of glances in my direction the moment I walked through the doors. Though they didn't think I heard them I didn't miss a thing with my super hearing. A group of girls standing in the middle of the first floor hall near my locker was deep in a conversation about what had happened yesterday. The only thing is that it was all fake gossip.

I walked as quietly as I could across the hall to my locker, which I decided to now use and opened it to give me some shelter as I eavesdropped.

"I heard the little girl destroyed Molly's chem project just so she could be on top." The first girl said.

"That's not all, I heard she even threatened Molly to not tell and thats why Tammy attacked her." The second girl said.

"I would've done the same thing. Too bad Tammy got expelled because of something that stupid baby did." The third girl added.

I took a deep breath and stuck my books I didn't need until after lunch onto my locker before I closed it. The loudness of my locker closing drew there attention and they decided they wanted to join me.

The three girls easily circled around me closing me in as they towered above me. I closed my eyes to settle myself. I could easily break through and take them myself but I wasn't allowed to fight humans it could get not only myself but my family in trouble.

"Well well well look who decided to show up to school today. You know for this having been your second day you have set the bar high for the number of enemies you can accumilate." The girl I recognized as the one to speak first said.

"I don't want any trouble I just want to go to school and then be on my way." I said in a small voice.

The girl scoffed before pushing me up against my locker. "If you live long enough." She sneered.

The girls moved closer, causing me to shrink up against the metal locker. I did my best not to move anymore as I didn't want to cause it to bend in.

It was no use I was cornered and unless I wanted to get beat up I was going to need to fight back.

"Hey babe whats going on?" I heard a male voice speak.

I blinked twice and then looked up. There standing behind the first girl was a boy I didn't recognize.

"Hey Mikey." The girl said lovingly as she turned around to wrap her arms around him. "Nothing is going on we are just teaching this one-" She said jabbing her finger at me from over her shoulder. "where her place is."

"I thought we talked about this Larissa, if you were going to be acting like this then I don't want to be associated with you." Mike said.

Finally a kid that did the right thing.

"Come on you have to understand this girl sabotaged Molly and got Tammy expelled." She added in a nervous laugh.

"That is where you are wrong Riss. I was sitting beside Tammy during Chem class she didn't do anything." Mike defended.

A feeling of what felt like happiness began to fill my stomach. So this guy knew I was innocent and was standing up for me and disapproving of the nonsense that these girls were bringing to me. That was the biggest relief of my day.

"You must be mistaken." Larissa said quickly.

"I'm not mistaken but you are if you think I'm taking you to the prom." Mike replied.

There was a few seconds of silence.

"WHAT!" Larissa shrieked.

Everyone in the hall turned around and gave there attention to the situation. Great this escalated quickly.

"I'm breaking up with you, I'm tired of your childish games." Mike said calmly.

Larissa's face turned three shades deeper before she turned towards me. I saw her fists clench tightly.

"This is all your fault! Prom was supposed to be the day that I shine and now I'm going to look like last season jewelry!" Larissa stomped her foot. "You are going to pay for my humiliation!"

Larissa took a step towards me. Before she could move another inch Mike grabbed her shoulder and spun her to face him.

"You are not going to touch her." He said. I could hear the threat in his voice as he spoke.

He held Larissa's eye contact for several seconds before he released her. His gaze then fell on me and when it did it softened.

"Come on Renesmee we should get to class." He said as he held out his arm towards me.

I didn't wasted a second as I walked to the safety of his arms. He wrapped his arm protectively around my shoulder before he led me away from the crowd.

When we made it to our first class I felt relieve and curiosity.

"Why did you save me?" I asked my voice barely audible.

Mike stuck his hand in his back pocket and retrieved his wallet. In the next second he pulled out a small picture and handed it to me.

The picture was of a little girl who looked remarkably like myself except she was slightly older in her looks. Her eyes were a light green and her hair was a light brown with no curls at all.

"Her name was Jennifer." He said before wiping his nose.

Her name was meaning past tense. What happened to her?

I went to open my mouth to question but he spoke.

"She was 12 when she disappeared. She went missing from her school one day. Her body was never recovered no traces or anything." He sighed before he took a seat against the wall outside the classroom. He sank his head into his lap and began crying. "I was suppose to pick her up but I forgot. It was my fault!" He said as he hit the floor with his hands. "How does a person forget their baby sister."

I knelt down beside him and placed my hand on his shoulder. "I'm so sorry for your loss." I whispered before I rose back to my feet and entered the classroom.

The entire class my mind was only half into my assignment. Even then at the end of the class I managed an A. I ended up skipping my next class to go to the spot in the forest where Wyatt and I had our conversation. I needed to be away from the drama that was high school.

The students were so angry and full of sadness and bitterness that consumed them and turned them into monsters trapped inside their own-selves. Just knowing that a 12 year old girl went missing and was never found brought me to tears. Just imagining if that was me, the pain my family would be going through rendered me to my knees. I was literally shaking all over.

I understood now why my family was terrified to let me out of their sight. I reached into my pocket and took out the phone my father gave to me for emergencies and dialed a number. In the next half second it began to ring.

"Renesmee your mother and I are on our way to get you okay." My father said quickly.

Of course Alice must have seen me wanting to come home and told him. I was relieved to know my family watched me closely it make me feel secure.

In three minutes my father and mother pulled up right beside the edge of the forest. I rose to my feet and ran to the car before I got in. My mother who was sitting in the back seat brought me into her arms.

"I can't do it anymore." I began crying into my mothers arms as we drove out of the school parking lot. "There is too much bad in the world."

My mothers grip around me tightened slight and I felt her lips against my hair.

"That's what we want to protect you from." She murmured.