Gene Splicing

The rest of the day passed by uneventful which was nice. No events meant no thing out of the ordinary for my family.

Since it was a full overcast tody -meaning no sun- I decided to take everyone to Alki Beach. Since it was slightly chilly and the clouds threatened rain -which didn't come- the beach was empty of humans.

This gave my mother another chance to spend time with her granddaughter. Sue who wanted to give me and my father quality time murmered about making sure there isn't a repeat of what happened on the boat and kept Renesmee in her sight.

I kept in pace with my father who was walking beside me along the shore, 50 yards from Renesmee and the others. He seemed keen on talking to me about 'my' married life, for reasons that I didn't.

"So is Edward still walking on water?" He asked spitefully.

I sighed at the question like I did everytime he talked to me about Edward and his 'goodness'.

I smirked slightly, keeping my eyes on Renesmee. "You asked that before dad." I replied, remembering when I called him while I was still pregnant with my daughter.

His forhead creased and he ran his hand down his chin. "I did didn't I?" He said more to himself than me. "I just thought he might be here today." He added.

I moved my hands from my side to my jacket pockets. "Something important came up." I responded, trying to deflect my fathers bitterness towards my husband.

"Yes because family isn't important." He mocked.

I stopped, grabbing my fathers arm lightly and pulled him back a few steps. When I looked him in the eyes he seemed shocked at my -lead taking- behavior. "Dad, Edward does more then enough with myself and our daughter. He is a good person a great husband and a wonderful father so I would very much like it if you can stop with your grudge and see that." I paused for a few seconds to let that sink in before I continued. "If you actually made an effort to get to know him you could be good friends."

The next 30 minutes consisted of nothing but awkward silence and short sentences about the clouds, the weather and other small talk nonsense. I really couldn't believe the position I had been placed in.

It was well past 8 when I decide it would be best to start heading home. I knew that the trip was long and I was sure my daughter was getting tired by the minute. I normally got her into bed by 8 but on nights when I let her stay up it was 9. I knew she would be asleep before we got home.

The trip back to the ferry port was quiet which gave me the oppourtunity to play Renesmee's lullaby in the truck to get her to sleep. One of the best things was that my daughter was a heavy sleeper, which is amusing to the family since she is half vampire and vampires never sleep. Ever.

After I had parked the truck everyone headed upstairs to the sitting area. I held my, now, sleeping daughter in my arms and sang quietly to her while she slept. Every few minutes I would bring her hand up to my cheek to peer in on her dreams.

For many long moments I would be mesmerized by her dreams. She was dreaming that she was underwater chasing fish and finding shells. She was a mermaid. The lighting in her dreams was completely unreal to the point it was breathtaking. The way the light cascaded through the water and caused her bronze curls to gleam and glitter.

"Bella." My father said as he placed his hand on my shoulder.

I quickly opened my eyes and looked to the left where he was sitting beside me.

"Dad?" I replied. "What is it?"

"We are back at the port." He said before extending his arms out to lift Renesmee into his arms. "Let me take her for you, you look like you are about to fall asleep on yourself." he commented.