Feeling Watched

When you woke up, you could hear the breeze ruffling the leaves of the forest around you. You groggily sat up and rubbed your eyes. Feeling a slight ache in your leg, you look down and see that the swelling in your bad ankle had gone down marginally. You were shocked by how much it's healed, but you weren't complaining. You rubbed your face, which had a bump right on the forehead. You remember passing out suddenly last night.

Last night. That dream.

You closed your eyes tightly, trying to remember what happened. It all seemed so real. The glowing eyes, the deep voice.

You looked over to the fireplace you set up last night, only to see the charred remains of birch sitting in a pathetic pile. You could remember the warmth on your face, how soothing it was.

'I must've been real tired.' you thought, staring at the blackened wood heap.

Fully awake, you decided to forget about the dream and get up as best you could to see if refilling your food supply was attainable. Placing your palms on a nearby tree trunk, you hoisted yourself onto your good ankle. You thought that since your bad ankle didn't hurt so much, you could try to walk on it to gather some more food and fresh water. Testing the waters, you placed your bad leg firmly on the ground and applied pressure. To your surprise, while it stung a bit, you could walk on it perfectly fine.

'Good Notch, that's some fast healing.' you thought while flexing your ankle back and forth. You could remember the last time you had broken a bone, it had taken more than a week to heal enough so you could use it.

Slowly making your way over to your bag, you reach inside and pull out your almost empty food sack and water pouch, along with your sword. Leaving your sleeping bag and burnt out fireplace behind, you throw your bag over your shoulder and began limping through the birch forest.

Preparing for a hunt was easy, but actually finding something to hunt was another thing entirely. You had walked through the forest for a good bit of time and had seen no living creature. You were starting to worry about being able to feed yourself, and it showed in your mannerisms.

Whenever you got anxious, you would begin to feed your habits. Biting your lip, picking at skin, plucking out hair, you did it all. It was obvious you had something going on inside to everyone outside. You wished it wasn't so painfully obvious you had anxiety but you really couldn't help it. Besides, it didn't really help that you felt watched the entire time you searched for animals. You couldn't help but think back to the dream you had.

'Why can't I just forget that dream?' you thought, fingers picking at your cuticles. You internally cursed yourself for dissociating for so long. You haven't been to a village in years and it showed. You blamed your own isolation for the strange dreams you had, for the panicked feelings of being watched, for the stupid decisions you unconsciously made.

Your eyes watered at all the thoughts you had, all you wanted was to forget the fire ever happened, to forget the feeling of smoke in your lungs, to find a new life to live and be happy. You just wanted to settle, to find a place to be in for the rest of your life surrounded in prosperity and happiness.

But it seemed you never could get far enough away from your home village.

You felt the wind slap your face harshly, drawing out the tears that had collected on your eyelid. You felt the warm fluid roll down your face and you quickly wiped it away. But the pressure from just moving seemed to be enough to free the rest of the liquid you wished to hold back. In as little as a second, your face was barraged in hot tears that you couldn't stop.

So you stood there and cried silently for all the things you wished could've been. You didn't hate yourself, no. But you did regret. It was strange to regret something you've never done, but you did anyway. You don't know why, but you just did.

And that was it.

And the feeling of being watched never did go away.

You wished you could go to a village, to see other people and be sociable and have at least a feeling of freedom. You don't know why you never visited one before but you suppose fear runs deep. If one village you loved so much catches on fire, who could say the fate for the next one? All your life, tragedy had found you and only you. How could you not think you were cursed? It was only a matter of time before your curse took your home.

Soon, you had run out of tears to cry. You were painfully reminded of your original journey.

You slowly starting walking again, trying to spot a water source. The sadness still leaving you hiccuping quietly very now and then. You found a lake not too far off, and you dipped your water pouch in and drank from it. The cool liquid refreshed you. It wasn't much, but you did feel a bit better.

Wiping your cheeks from the partially dried tears, you sat down next to the still water just to see the reflection of the late day sun. You just sat there and watched the sun set slowly over the trees. You wondered if you could sit out there all night without sleeping. The thought you had soon dissipated as you felt your stomach grumble in hunger. You still needed to find some food.

Standing up, you tried to formulate in your head on how to get food without hunting. You could shake trees to find fruit, but birch trees don't carry fruit. You could dig in the grass for seeds, but farming takes a long time and you couldn't wait around for so long just to eat. You squinted towards the fading sun and ran your hands through your hair.

As the the sun disappeared behind the horizon, you could see the pale moon peek over the treetops. As you stood and pondered, the feeling of being watched weighed heavily on you. And as much as you hated the feeling, a part of you hoped that the feeling was accurate and that someone was near you. As much as you don't want to admit it, you are sociable and need interaction with people to stay sane, to remind you that you aren't alone in the world. You sighed and watched the moon slowly rise and the sky turn darker yet darker. And in the darkness of the night, you could see light over the trees on top of a hill.

A feeling of relief washed over you as you recognized the guard tower as one from a village.