Almost Gone

All was dark and quiet. You opened your eyes to clear skies and gentle winds. Your clothes were soaked in the front, but you were unharmed. Dead and decayed branches and tree trunks laid in front of you, giving you somewhat of a shade from the glaring sun. You sat up and felt a crick in your neck and your back aching.

You faced the sky and saw that it was clear of any clouds. Your arms were covered in mud and you tried to wipe it off on the wall of the hill, but it had already dried. You got yourself to stand up, leaning against the hill as your legs spiked with pins and needles. The air felt strange.

You walked out from underneath the ledge of the hill, stepping over the dead tree debris. The air smelled musty and dry, like you were breathing in dirt. You slowly made your way through the forest again, picking up where you left off last night. You were glad that the rain didn't last until dawn.

The sun was high in the sky and you felt the heat beat down on your wet clothes. You kept your head down and your thoughts quiet as you meandered through the dead forest. You still didn't know where you were or where you would go, so you felt as if walking aimlessly was your only option. You felt groggy, but more awake than you had been all month. It was strange to have your mind be so awake, but your body so ready to fall.

Eventually, the forest ended. The dead, grey forest started to fade into a pale green. You were happy that the fire didn't travel so far. The black trees disappeared behind you and you walked into another forest biome with lush oak trees. Sounds started to surround you. Birds were chirping and you could hear the distant noises of animals grazing and cooing. You suddenly felt out of place being in such a flourishing area and covered in grey mud. You looked around for a stream or lake to wash yourself in.

You wandered in a haze, keeping your eye out for anything that shined blue. You passed by animals that fed on the green grass, and you couldn't help but place your hands on their backs as you walked by them. Their strong bodies and beating hearts made you feel better after being in such a dead and desolate area. It felt like you stepped into another dimension again.

You kept looking for water and eventually found a river. The water seemed clean and you tested the temperature by sticking your hand in. You started to remove clothes. First your pants, then your shirt, then socks and boots. You stuck them inside the river to wash out the dirty rain water and mud. You wrung them out and placed them in a spot in the grass that the sun shone on to dry.

You dunked your head into the water. The cold liquid filled your ears and nose and cleansed your eyes. You tangled your hands in with your locks and started to scratch out the dirt and dust. You could see the dirt particles and dandruff leave your scalp and float around in the water. You tugged your head back out and snorted out any water left in your nostrils. You whipped your head around, sending droplets of water everywhere on the ground around you. You bunched up your hair in your hands and slicked it back against your head.

Your feet went into the water. Then you lowered your legs in, then you sunk your torso in. You leaned your head back against the bank as your body floated in the cold river. You couldn't remember the last time you had a bath. It felt nice to clean yourself.

You scratched at your arms until the mud flaked off. Your skin was angry and red by the end of it, but your arms were mud-free. Several animals came to you and sniffed your face and hair as you tried to bathe. You responded by flicking water into their faces and watching them back off in surprise. You smiled as they huffed at you and left you alone.

Time ticked on tirelessly. The sun dipped over the hills in the distance and you were disappointed that you'd have to get out of the water. You lifted yourself up onto the bank, your now-dry clothes waiting for you. You wandered around in a circle, naked, for a few minutes until you felt you were dry enough to put your clothes back on. By the time you were fully clothed again, the moon had peaked out over the horizon.