Across The Ocean

Forests to mountains to desert. You tried to keep track of every biome you and Steven trekked across. It was easy to recognize the biome, but it was hard to keep track of each and every one of them you saw.

Hills to savanna to jungle. Each biome had its own excitement and adventure. Some biomes you were not fond of, but you had to go through them in order to find Sky City. The journey was mostly quiet, but you and Steven talked occasionally when you weren't climbing and jumping and building bridges across gaps.

Of course, the entire time, you felt Herobrine's eyes on you. You never mentioned the night you spoke with Herobrine to Steven. You were worried that it would spark unwanted emotions. You knew that Steven and Herobrine used to like each other, but you knew it was different now. You were worried about what would happen if Steven knew Herobrine was following closely.

Swamp to plains to taiga. The temperature was dropping the more you travelled. It didn't seem to bother Steven, but it bothered you. It really bothered you. You hated cold weather. You decided not to mention it, however. The closer you were to Sky City, the better. Even in the cold.
Each time Steven made camp, you would be sent to find firewood. Every time, you would watch for Herobrine. You didn't know if you wanted to find him or not, but you did know you wanted to talk to him. As strange as it was, you were almost looking forward to talking with him. Each time you looked for him, however, you never found him. For some reason, it disappointed you.

Snowy taiga to ocean. You didn't want to cross. You and Steven had both been travelling for weeks, now, perhaps months. It was strange how time flew. He told you that it was only a couple more days until Sky City. Then came the ocean. You refused to get on the boat with Steven. As much as you hated the cold, you also hated the ocean. You were also willing to bet that the ocean would become cold as you travelled through it, so that was a double no-no. You stayed rooted to the beach.

"Y/n, please. I've been across this ocean plenty of times, it's not dangerous." Steven pleaded.

But it wasn't danger that deterred you. It was just the ocean. An endless abyss of liquid that could hold you and suffocate you. It could cling to you and drag you down to the bottom, never to be seen again. You shook your head.

"I promise I'll keep you safe!" Steven swore.

You shook your head. It didn't matter if he could keep you safe, you would be surrounded in water from every side. The mere thought gave you hives.

"Isn't there...another way?" you asked.

"No, Sky City floats over a different continent." Steven answered.

You felt yourself dissociate as Steven tried to settle your nerves, but all you could hear was static. His voice sounded far away and all you could do was stare blankly. Your eyes focused on the ocean. The vast deep blue filled your mind like tar.

"Y/n?"

It was so far away.

You could see the water. You ran to it and slipped, falling on the rocks. You looked up at him.

"What's wrong? Gonna cry?"

But you weren't. Your eyes were dry, but your knees were split open. Blood stained the rocks and the boy laughed.

"Yeah! You're gonna cry! You're gonna cry!"

You stared blankly at him. You didn't understand why he chased you. Did you do something wrong?

"Say something! It's boring when you're quiet!"

What could you say? You tried standing up, but the boy ran to you. He pushed you down. You fell onto the rocks again. You caught yourself with your hands. Your palms stung.