And He Never Said Sorry

You gently rocked back and forth on your behind, nervously sitting on your mattress. Next to you was Steven, twiddling his thumbs and scanning the room with his eyes. You felt immensely uncomfortable sitting so close to a personal hero of yours, you wanted to speak but couldn't think of what to say. What could you say?

Your mind drifted to the dream you had last night.

'Oh Gods not that!' you thought with terror. How could you possibly bring up dreaming about someone smoothly?

You took a deep breath to try and steady your flustered heart. You saw Steven glance at you in your peripheral vision and you felt self conscious.

'Notch help me.' you thought, feeling your face grow warm.

You heard Steven clear his throat and you waited on edge to see what he would say. His blue eyes stared at yours but you refused to make direct eye contact. It was awkward enough as it is.

"How long have you been travelling?" he asked politely and you almost flinched at the attempt of small talk. You didn't like small talk.

"About 3 years...you?" you muttered, shifting your sitting position.

It was a stupid question but you really couldn't think of anything else to say to follow up your response. You were actually curious what his answer would be but the question itself sounded so lame and stupid that you couldn't help but cringe internally.

"About...well..." you heard him trail off. He seemed thoughtful and his eyes drifted away from you.

Could he not remember? Was it that long?

"About 10 years almost, I think..." he finished, uncertainty lacing his voice.

You gaped at his answer, a whole decade of nothing but travel? You shuddered at how lonely that must be.

You glanced at him and you saw he no longer tried to looked at you. You realize how lonely it must be for someone like him. No wonder he small talked, everywhere he went people celebrated him and his arrival to towns but other than that he probably didn't talk much. You felt bad for being so quiet at him, he probably wanted to talk about common interests, not have someone oogle his greatness.

Your prolonged staring caught his attention and you felt embarrassed by his gaze. You averted your eyes and tried to think of something to say that would be better than travelling.

You thought of the dream again.

You cringed at the thought of talking about yourself. Would he even be interested? It was worth a try.

"Uh...this might sound weird but, uh..." you started, not sure how to smoothly bring it into conversation.

You look back at him and he stared back with expectancy. Maybe he could handle your ramblings if you could just think of what to say next.

"Well...I had a really strange dream last night and you were there." you quickly finished, rushing your words.

He blinked and smiled and you felt a bit better for finally coming up with a conversation topic. He continued to stare, encouraging you to continue.

"And uh...you were the only person there besides me, you were sitting in front of me and smiling weirdly and I couldn't see your face clearly." you blurted, just letting the words fall out as you think them.

You could see that Steven was interested, his hand propping up his face which was concentrated on you. It felt nice to just talk without thinking.

"The strangest thing is was that it looked like you but older, the beard was longer and everything, and I don't mean too much longer, just longer." you animatedly spoke, waving your hands around your face to enforce what you said.