Pride Goeth Before The Fall

The planning process was full of uncertain variables. The Aether was the home of the Gods, no mortal belonged there. Planning to infiltrate such a place was both a suicide mission and a near impossibility. While in Sky City's central library, you and your friends were looking for any kind of paper recording of someone finding or entering the Aether. Unfortunately, no such record existed. There are some descriptions of what the Aether portal looks like and some fairytales, but nothing other than that. At the end of the day, you were rather hopeless about finding Herobrine.

"It's impossible," Alex said, "no one's ever been there."

"Just because it's not in the library doesn't mean it doesn't exist." Steve said.

"Where else are we supposed to find information about the Aether, then? Everything we find is always based on rumors!" Alex snapped.

As you listened to Alex and Steve bicker, you kept trying to think of alternate ways to get to the Aether. You discussed your thoughts with Herobrine.

'Portals are found in hidden places unless they're built, aren't they?'

'Usually.'

'Maybe we could just build one? Would that work?'

'Building portals is dangerous business. It's possible, but it might not take you to where you need to be. It might throw you into the air.'

'How else are we gonna find the portal? It would take years to search the world.'

'I don't know.'

'You were there once, can't you remember where you left?'

'I didn't leave through a portal. I used an alternate exit.'

'Wait. If you can escape through an alternate exit, maybe we can get in through an alternate entrance?'

'That would be extremely difficult considering the Aether is above the clouds.'

'Oh. Right. How'd you even survive the fall, then?'

'To be honest, I have no idea.'

You sighed and rested your head in your hands. Tuning into Alex and Steve's conversation, your ears perked up.

"Maybe there's an explorer who's been there before?" Steve suggested.

"And where are we supposed to find someone like that? Barely anyone leaves this city, it would take forever!" Alex said.

You straightened your back as your thoughts started racing.

'What if we got to the Lesser Gods and asked for their help?'

'Wait, which one?'

'It doesn't matter! One of them has to know about the Aether, right?'

'Finding them is a challenge in itself.'

'At least it's easier than finding the Aether.'

'Fair enough.'

Your throat still hurt, so you fished out a piece of paper from your bag and set it on the table between you, Alex, and Steve. You wrote quickly, adding drawn pictures to help explain yourself. You outlined a plan to find one of the Lesser Gods and ask them about the whereabouts of the Aether portal. When you finished, you allowed them to read over it.

"This..." Steve started.

"This is still impossible!" Alex said.

You knitted your eyebrows and pointed at a picture of the Elder. Both of their faces looked worried.

"I know you met him once, but finding him again will be extremely hard." Steve said.

"Isn't he at the bottom of the ocean? I don't know about you, but I'm not the best swimmer." Alex said.

You wrote something else. Steve and Alex leaned towards you.

'We should try to find the Nether, then.'

"Nether portals tend to be marked on most maps," Alex said thoughtfully, "so it shouldn't be too difficult."

"Well, we should head out sooner than later." Steve said.

You all agreed and left the library, heading back to Alex's house. You didn't expect to be leaving Sky City so early, but the clock was ticking. As you packed your bag, you took a long glance out the window. The tall golden towers of the city shone in the sun.

It was always your dream to come here and now you were leaving it. Maybe when all this craziness was over, you'd come back and live here.

You could imagine a life here. You could see a pretty house with a garden that was near Alex's. Your interior would be full of colors and objects from your travels. A soft bed always awaited you at the end of the day. You closed your bag.

'One day. I'll come back here.'

'It's quite the dream, isn't it?'

You smiled at Herobrine's voice and slung the bag over your shoulder.

'After such a journey, I think I deserve a nice domestic life.'

'I'm with you there. I don't think a life like that is for me, though.'

'Why not?'

'I always cause too much trouble...I think I'll always be running from something.'

'Well even if you are, I'll always welcome you into my home.'

Herobrine fell silent. You left the room and walked to the living room. Alex and Steve were standing there, waiting. Armed with a map leading to a Nether portal, the three of you set out. Before you could step down from the door, Herobrine spoke again.

'Maybe a domestic life wouldn't be too bad, if it's with you...'

You smiled and followed your friends down the street. The sun was pleasantly warm as you made your way to the front gates of Sky City. The Golems let you past and you followed Alex and Steve through the invisible portal you came through with Herobrine before. The dark cave felt shorter to walk through than the first time. When you left the darkness, the light from the outside seemed dimmer than it had up in the city.

Alex fished out a map from her bag and analyzed it. You leaned over and looked at the marking she pointed at.

"This is the closest portal to us. It shouldn't take long to find." She said.

"Maybe a day or so." Steve said.

"If we're quick, it might take even less."

"Let's hurry then."

Steve patted your back as the three of you headed towards the direction of the portal. A feeling of hope filled your chest as you gazed at the forest ahead.

'I'm coming, Hero.'

'I sure hope so.'