The Calm

The morning light woke you up. You felt the warm light on your skin and you felt hot. You shuffled to where it was cooler and opened your eyes slightly. You could hear various noises outside, birds singing, wheels bumping over pebbles, chatting. Your eyes moved over to the side of your bed.

You saw Steven, his face squished against the side of your bed. His hands still reached over the bed frame. You smiled and sighed. You reached out and shook him until he grunted. His eyes fluttered open and he stared at you before sitting up. Neither of you said a word as you both woke up slowly. You both stretched and yawned and groggily got up.

You considered the odd occurrence of last night. You had a dreamless sleep. You were grateful for the peace, but it made you worry. You wished you didn't have to worry about it so much. You just wanted to enjoy it for what it was. You silently made your way over to your travel bag. You could feel Steven's eyes on you as you made sure everything was in there.

"Are you alright?" you heard him say quietly.

"Yeah. Everything's here." you replied.

"That's good." he said.

You turned around and saw him smile at you. You smiled back. It felt nice to be at peace, at least. Maybe you could just enjoy the quiet while it lasts. The golden sunlight filled your room with such a happy glow that you felt like crying. Everything seemed to be so right and fluffy, it made your chest swell. You embraced the feeling and picked up your bag.

"I'm all ready to go if you are." you said.

Steven nodded and you both headed outside your room. He turned and went into his room and came back out with his bag and a signed envelope.

"We'll have to stop at the market square before we go." he said.

You nodded and smiled. It felt so strange to have a set goal in your mind, but it made you feel determined. You wanted to get to Sky City and, by the Gods, you would. It felt foreign to be so confident. It made your head spin. It was a good feeling, nonetheless.

You followed Steven into the lobby, where you both checked out of the inn. You took one last look at the pretty innkeeper before you stepped outside. You were going to travel again, how weird is that? You wondered if you would ever see this place again.

You continued to follow Steven into the large market square. It was bustling and loud and you found it difficult to read all the signs and shops because of all the bodies. You stuck close to Steven as he maneuvered his way through the crowd. It was all you could do to keep track of his aqua shirt.

You sniffed the air and smelled cooked meat, fruit, sap, raw fish, and people. It was overwhelming and you wanted to get in and out as fast as you could. You wondered what Steven needed to get and how long it would take. You hoped you didn't have to stay here longer than necessary. You were already getting a headache.

You trailed behind him to a small fruit stand. It had a small crowd and seemed to contain large and fresh fruits. You could smell strawberries, melons, pears, peaches, and so much more. You realized how hungry you were and you decided that you would get something for yourself while you were here. You could splurge a bit, right? You had plenty of money, after all.

Steven stopped at the stand and waited patiently for one of the vendors to greet you both. You waited anxiously, you really wanted something to eat and leave ASAP. The smell of other stands and shops was starting to make you feel a little dizzy.

"Do you want anything, y/n?" Steven asked.

"I can get something for myself." you replied.

"Are you sure? It's no trouble." he insisted.