Heresy

It was dark. You could barely see anything that wasn't illuminated by the lantern. Herobrine was trailing behind you, still not fully awake yet. You dragged him by the arm as you ran as fast as you could.

You kept looking behind you, expecting to see The Catalyst. You couldn't see it. You searched above, but it wasn't there. You didn't slow down though, since panic was still fresh in your mind. You ran for an indeterminate amount of time. You couldn't tell where you were, but you knew it was far away from the tent. The forest had faded into the tall rocky cliffs of a mesa. It felt familiar.

"Where are we?" You said out loud.

You didn't notice that you had slowed down. You felt the weight of Herobrine against you arm. You turned and saw him fighting to stay awake. You patted his face.

"Huh?" He mumbled.

"Herobrine, get the maps out." You said.

He didn't seem to hear you. He stared at you blankly. As you stared back, you realized something was wrong. You pressed your hand against Herobrine's forehead. His skin was burning hot against your cold hand. You reached over to his shoulder and removed his bag. Throwing it over yourself, you took his hand and gently led him over to sit by a cliff face. He leaned against the wall and slumped down. You watched with worry as he began nodding off.

You look around the area. You couldn't see anything dangerous. You knelt down in front of Herobrine, taking off his bag from your shoulder and rummaging through it for maps. You found one with a topography that looked flattish. It was indeed a mesa biome, but you had no idea if it was the one you were in. You pulled out more maps, trying to find the forest you left and see if it fit in with the mesa map. You searched until you found one. It had a marking. You turned towards your partner.

"You've been keeping track of our campsites?" You asked quietly.

Herobrine's eyes opened momentarily. You didn't get a response, but his acknowledgment reassured you. You put the maps next to each other, fitting them together pretty perfectly. You grinned and took out a pencil from the bag. You put a mark on the map on a cliff face that looked similar to the one you leaned on. You stared at the map before putting it back in the bag. It seemed so familiar.

You turned your attention to Herobrine. He was asleep. You shook him until he opened his eyes.

"Come on, Herobrine, we have to keep moving." You said.

He nodded slightly, but his eyes slipped closed again. Something was indeed very wrong. You patted his face, but he didn't wake up. You shook him again. He barely jolted.

You stared at him. Worry and panic crept into your mind. How were you going to get him up? How were you going to transport him? You slapped his face with some effort. His eyes opened again, but his gaze was unfocused. They closed again. You clenched your jaw.

You leaned against the cliff next to him. Staring up at the sky, you couldn't see The Catalyst. You felt somewhat guilty when you closed your eyes.

'If he can't wake up, then it's the only way...' you thought.

You pressed your forehead against his. You could feel how hot his skin was. You tried to get as comfortable as you could. You took a deep breath. You reassured yourself.

Sleep was difficult. You were uncomfortable, but you tried to settle as best as you could. You closed your eyes and focused only on Herobrine.

You drifted off.

It was dark. Then, a light emerged. Dozens of particles exploded around you, dancing and bouncing. You hadn't been to the void in a long time. You looked around, trying too see past the surplus of grey particles. You could see something colorful behind them. You floated through the void, getting closer. You could see the aqua blue shirt of Herobrine. You reached out and grabbed his shirt.