Chapter 3

(Annabelle's POV)

I got out of Aunt Cierra's car and she drove away to go to Sophia's preschool. I turned to look at the large building that towered above me. I was told to be dropped off late so I could be shown around while everyone else was in first hour. My stomach was in knots and I thought I was going to throw up. Usually I was the confident one and Adrian was the shy one, but without her by my side it's a completely different story. I pushed open the doors and looked around. I was in the cafeteria, I looked to my right and saw a sign that said Main Office. I walked through that door leaving it open a crack. The lady at the front desk had brown hair that was starting to turn grey. I walked up to her and tried to put on my best smile.

"Hi, I'm Annabelle Frye, I'm new," I said.

"Ahh yes, Annabelle you moved here from O-" she stopped mid-sentence to stare at the something behind me. I turned around and looked through the windows that showed the hallway to see a boy with his backpack trying to keep his head down as he walked past.

"Mr. Johnson!" The lady at the desk yelled.

The boy hesitated but reluctantly looked up and made eye contact with me. He walked through the door and stopped a foot in the room.

"I see you're late again. Mr. Johnson, this is our new student, Annabelle Frye. Annabelle, this is Sean. Now Sean, since you're already late you can show her around and to where her classes are," she ordered. "If you do I'll write you a late pass so even though you were late it won't count."

"Missing class with an excuse? I'm in!" Sean cheered.

The lady smiled and handed me a piece of paper.

"By the way, I'm Mrs. Sullin," she added as Sean led me out.

As soon as the door shut Sean took the schedule out of my hands.

"Rude," I huffed.

"So, where are you from?" He asked ignoring my comment.

Sean suddenly turned and started walking down a hall and I hurried to catch up.

"I'm from Ohio," I answered.

"Why'd you move here?" He asked.

"Because I did," I said.

I didn't think it was a good idea to tell him the real reason. He'd probably think I was stupid and id be the laughing stock on the first day.

"No need to be sassy," he laughed.

Sean looked over to me and his blue eyes sparkled with amusement. He flipped his dark brown hair and smirked at me. Is he the kind of guy I think he is? He faced forward and started to walk again.

"Here is your locker," he said stopping a few feet away. "And here is your combination."

He handed me a small slip of paper that was attached to my schedule with a paper clip.

"You're not going to open my locker, right?" I asked since he saw the combination.

"I make no promises," he said.

Sean crossed his arms and leaned against the blue lockers with his right foot on it. I had to mentally slap myself for staring at him. I put in my combination then hung up my backpack and grabbed a binder and a pencil.

"Let's go," Sean said as I shut the door.

He walked farther down the hall then took a sudden left turn. He took another left and lead me up the stairs.

After showing me where all my classes were we started heading to my second hour class since first hour ends in four minutes.

Do you play any sports or instruments or something?" Sean asked.

"I don't play sports but I do play the guitar," I said looking around at the classes.

"I play guitar too. I'm also the star quarterback," he bragged flexing his muscles.

"Is that supposed to impress me?" I asked.

"Well, yeah. That's how it usually works with the ladies," he said.

"We'll not with me," I scoffed.

"Oh, but it will," Sean said with a wink.

A bell went off and the halls filled with kids. Sean pointed to a nearby room so I walked in it. The desks were in rows of two and there was a big white board at the front. I sat down in the second row to the back and waited for class to start. People started piling in but I just doodled on a piece of paper. Someone set down their binder and pencil case. I looked up to see a blonde girl with blue/grey eyes.

"Oh, is this someone's seat?" I asked.

"No, it's okay. I just wanted to sit next to you because you're new," she said.

"Thanks!" I chirped.

She sat down and held out a hand that I shook.

"I'm Brooke," She said happily.

"I'm Annabelle," I said.

"Hello students! We have a new student," a young women said walking in the room. "Would you like to introduce yourself?"

"Um, I'm Annabelle Frye," I said nervously.

"My name is Annabelle and I grew up on a farm in Kansas with my cow Betsy," a voice said with a southern accent behind me.

I felt my cheeks get warm as everyone started laughing. I turned in my seat to see Nick giving me a cheeky grin.

"I didn't grow up in Kansas and I don't have a cow named Betsy," I corrected.

"Yeah, my cows name is actually Patty," Nick said in a southern accent.

"Nick Helper," the teacher warned.

"What?" He asked.

"I'm Mrs. Mintoe, and I teach English," she said.

I sat through the class for fifty-five minutes. Fifty-five whole minutes of Nick poking me and playing with my hair. As soon as class was over I packed my stuff to leave as fast as possible.

"Hey, do you wanna sit with me at lunch?" Brooke asked.

"I'd love to sit with you," Nick answered in a southern accent.

"Shut up, you already sit with me," Brooke said rolling her eyes.

"You sit with him?" I asked suprised.

"Yeah, he's my boyfriends friend," she explained.

"Oh. yeah I'd like to sit with you," I said.

She smiled then walked out the door with Nick. Well, at least now I don't have to eat alone.