Chapter 4

(Annabelle's POV)

The morning went by in a breeze and I grabbed my lunch box then headed to the cafeteria. The room was filled with kids yelling and walking around. I looked around until I saw a pretty blonde in a blue t-shirt waving her arms. I smiled and sat down next to Brooke in the table near the center.

"Hi Annabelle! This is Sarah and Katy!" Brooke chirped.

Wow she's perky. I opened my paper bag and pulled out a sandwich and a water bottle.

"So, how was your day so far?" Brooke asked.

"It was pretty good, kind of scary though," I admitted.

"It gets better. I moved here when I was in sixth grade," Katy said.

"Hey everyone," Emmett said behind me.

He kissed Brooke then sat down on her other side.

"So you're Brooke's boyfriend. small world," I said.

Brooke gave us a questioning look.

"I met him last night when Nick pushed me into the water at the beach," I explained.

"Wow, what a coincidence," Brooke laughed.

"What up people?" Sean said walking up.

Him, Nick, and James sat down next to Emmett.

"Hey look! It's the new girl!" Sean said.

I looked down because my cheeks were turning red.

"Be nice," Brooke scolded.

She reached across the table and slapped him on the arm.

"Hey!" He cried.

"What class do you have next?" Brooke asked.

"Um, chemistry with Mrs. Santago," I said looking at my schedule.

"James has that class next, I'm sure he could walk you," Emmett offered gesturing to James who nodded in response.

After lunch was over James and I were walking down the hall. Neither of us were talking besides when James said hi to people he knew. I looked around at the kids until the silence bothered me.

"How come you haven't said a single word to me?" I asked.

He looked over at me in surprise then his face softened.

"I'm sorry, Im just kind of shy," James said.

"That's okay, I wasn't really blaming you, just curious," I assured.

"Well, here's the class. Maybe we could even sit next to each other," James suggested.

"Okay."

I followed him into the room and sat at the back lab table. The stools were uncomfortable and there was test tubes on the table. A middle-aged women walked in and started giving us directions on an experiment without so much as a glance in my direction.

"James! You're supposed to mix the blue liquid with the red, not green!" I exclaimed.

"Oops," James said.

The green liquid swirled with the blue turning it into a purplish color. It started to bubble and smoke.

"Umm," I said staring at the cuncoction.

The mixture burst and drops of it landed on my arms and legs. It stung and I started screaming, so was James.

"Get to the showers! Quick!" Mrs. Santago yelled.