Chapter 12

(Elliot's POV)

I opened my eyes and saw Emelia holding my hand.

"Ellie!" She exclaimed.

I've never been so happy to see that horrible nickname. She threw her arms around my neck and started crying. I laughed and rubbed her back.

"I was scared you weren't going to make it," Emelia said sniffling.

"I'm okay. How's Annabelle?" I anxiously asked.

"I don't know they haven't told us much. You've been out for almost three hours and Annabelle still hasn't woken up," Emelia said.

"She hasn't?" I asked in fear.

"No, last I heard from when the doctors were talking was they were going to do an x-Ray or cat scan or something like that because of her head," Emelia said. "Mom went to go get some water."

As if on cue mom walked through the door.

"Elliot!" She cried.

She gave me hug that squeezed the air out of me.

"I'm so glad you're okay! The doctors said you could leave today!" My mom exclaimed happily.

"I'm not leaving without Annabelle," I stated.

"Well, we should hear back from the doctor soon," my mom said. "Do you want some water?"

I nodded my head and reached out for it. I stared at my right hand that was in a bandage.

"You burnt yourself," my mom explained.

"How did I not notice before? Like when I was signing?" I asked.

"You're on some pretty tough pain killers," my mom said sympathetically.

A doctor opened the door and walked in with an interpreter.

"Elliot Adams, you are free to leave whenever you want," the doctor said.

"What about Annabelle? Is she okay?" I asked.

"I guess this is as good of a time as ever to tell you," the doctor said. I kept my eyes fixed on the interpreters hands, savoring his every movement. "Because of the injury to her head she is now in a coma. We don't know when she'll wake up."

I stared in shock and sorrow.

"Can I see her?" I asked.

"Yes, follow me," the doctor said walking out.

I threw my legs over the side of the bed to find I was in an old pair of black sweatpants. I looked to my stomach and saw I was wear a soft grey t-shirt.

"They're your cousins," my mom explained.

I dropped from the bed and my legs felt wobbly. I stumbled twice before making it out the door. The doctor was standing outside a door two doors down. I walked forward and put my hand on the knob. Memories of the fire came back to me but I shook them away. I opened the door to see Annabelle laying on the bed, her head and left forearm were both wrapped in bandages. Her aunt, uncle and cousin were all sitting around her. Their faces showed pity when they looked up at me.

"Why don't we leave you alone," Annabelle's uncle suggested.

They scurried out and shut the door behind them. I sat in the chair beside the bed. It was a scary sight to see, the once confident and vivacious Annabelle now lay limp and helpless in a hospital bed. A simple breathing tube in her mouth connected to fragile machines that could be easily broken. I moved a strand of dark hair away from her pale face. I grabbed her soft hand and laid my head down on it. I sat there for what seemed like forever until I felt a hand on my shoulder. I looked up to see Annabelle looking down at me. Her face was its usual tan color and she had on a white dress. Is she dead? Is this her spirit? I dropped comatose Annabelle's hand and wrapped the other one in a hug. Something was different. She put her arms around the center of my back instead of my neck and she didn't hold me as close. I pulled away and stared into her eyes in dissapointment. Realization spread over her face and she instantly looked guilty.