Prologue

Loneliness is a scary thought, and as I stare out the window and watch the heavy rain drops slowly fall down the outside of the taxi, that's about all I can think about- how alone I feel.

I've always loved the rain, though. It always mesmerized me how even the sky cried.

Back at home, my perfect day consisted of reading a book in my room and drinking tea while it rained outside. Sounds cliché, but I honestly would take that over going out any day.

Either that or just a Netflix marathon.

I live in an average sized town, or lived should I say. There's nothing special about it- everything looks the same and the most exciting thing you could find would be a gas station that has a Starbucks, if you're lucky.

Sure there's some nice people, but ever since I was younger I've wanted to get out of here, mainly the United States in general.

Not that where I live is awful, but I don't want to stay in America my whole life. When you live some where since you were born, you see the same scenery and the same trees and rocks every single day, and I desperately need something fresh and new.

That's not the only reason why I was leaving, of course. I have overwhelmingly strict parents, I don't think much more needs to be said besides the fact I want to get away from them.

I love them with all my heart, don't get me wrong, but I'm an adult and they're still bossing me around like I'm a child.

After putting much thought into what I wanted and where I wanted to go, I made the decision to move to England.

I'm quite nervous, actually. Even though my excitement is through the roof, I'm not moving a few states away, I'm moving out of the country. I'm not sure if I'll remain there for a long period of time, but the more I looked into it the more I fell in love with it, especially the specific place I was going to.

Right when I thought about leaving my hometown, strangely, England is the first place that came to mind.

Maybe I just like the accents and wish I had one, I'm not sure.

But how drastic of a change is it going to be?

I've heard mixed reviews; it's either a remarkable place to live, or it's not as as nice as people say. For obvious reasons I'm hoping it's the first one.

I just want to be somewhere where I can walk down the streets and just be by myself and my thoughts, maybe go a little shopping and spend my money how I want, not having to save for college and not worrying about my parents bothering me constantly.

Growing up, my parents have always pushed and pressured me into doing things; getting good grades, always behaving and never getting in trouble, trying out for sports, just what parents would usually enforce on their kids.

But sometimes they could take it a little too far by pushing me harder than I was able to go, expecting so much from me when all I wanted was to be accepted by them for what I can do, not what they want me to be able to do.

They pressured me so hard I didn't want to live with them or even near them. Like I said, I care about and love both of them, I always will, but I wish that they would let me have more freedom. To be able to make my own decisions for once and not have them criticize every single thing I do.

When they found out I was going to move to England they were disappointed, and that feeling, at least for me, is worse than your parents being just plain mad at you.

They wanted me to go to college here in the United States, to Harvard or a big school like that, but I didn't want to go to college. I wanted to explore this world we have, we were given it for a reason and that reason is not to study for ten hours straight on things that I will forget about by the next month anyways.