One

"Lauren..." I inhaled, my voice infused with annoyance. "I swear to god.. if you don't come down here in 10 seconds, you can find your own ride to school" I shout at the bottom of the stairs.

It was our first day as seniors. I couldn't believe it. Three years of my life spent at that school and it'd felt like an eternity. After countless amounts of papers, tests, pop quizzes and cringe worthy pep rallies, I would finally get to part ways with this school. How lucky was I? I mentally ask myself the question, causing me to trail off into my thoughts

"First of all" Lauren started. "You can't rush me because it's MY car that we're taking" she begins walking down the stairs whilst simultaneously putting an earring in her left ear. "Second, you need to chill out." She makes it to the bottom of the stairs and faces me. "We're seniors now y/n, it's time to live life on the edge and take risks" She explains.

"And by "risks" do you mean hook up with every guy you see at a party?" I retorted.

Instinctively, she rolls her eyes at me and shrugs off my question. I wasn't phased by her anger nor annoyance, more-so her inability to understand her worth.

"Well at least people take an interest in me" She begins to laugh.

"Whatever" I scoff and fold my arms.

"Relaxx cuz" She lightly hits my arm, causing it to break from the fold. "I'm only kidding." She tilts her head to the side and shoots an 'i love you' look at me, causing my glare to break.

"Yeah, yeah" I pick up my backpack from the ground and turn around to unlock the door. "Just please hurry u-" Lauren was already halfway up the stairs.

"Be down soon" She replies loud enough for me to hear.

This girl was going to drive me insane.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Welcome back RidgeView High!" Mr. Smith, our English teacher exclaims as he greets students by the door. Handing people syllabus' as they step inside the classroom.

Lauren and I had somehow made our way into the classroom without having an hour long conversation with Mr. Smith. He was a nice teacher; poor guy just didn't know when to stop talking. He feels this sense of superiority over most teachers at RidgeView because he's been teaching for as long as anyone could remember.

We both took seats side by side, in the far right corner of the class. Lauren immediately pulls out her phone from her purse and begins to text and scroll as if she hadn't been on it for months.

I rest my chin on the palm of my hand as I watch in amusement as familiar faces are forced into the "plans after highschool" conversation with Mr. Smith.

"Oh. My. God" Dylan mouths as he walks over to the desk in front of me.

"Hmm?" I smirk. "Sad that your conversation ended so soon?" I teased

"Sad that it didn't end sooner" Dylan retorted while taking a seat.

"I missed you Dyl" I say with a cheeky grin

"Me too y/n"

As we begin to talk about our summers, the bell suddenly rings and Mr. Smith shuts the classroom door.

"Good morning seniors and welcome back. Today is officially your last ever first day of high school" He shouts with a grin plastered on his face.

The class erupts with excitement and cheers.

"Now before you get too excited" Mr. Smith starts. "We do have assigned seats" The class groans in unison as a response.

"I know" He explains "But new principle means new rules" He justifies. "Everyone please stand up and find your seat using the sheet displayed on the projector"

People get up from their seats and begin to shuffle around the classroom.

"Y/f/n y/l/n, seat 6d" Great. A corner seat.

I walk over to the front of the classroom, my eyes focused on the amount of rows and chairs. While I'm mentally counting, I brush shoulders with a girl I'd never seen before.

"Oh! I'm sorry" She covers her mouth with her hands, a worried expression painted on her face.

"No worries" I smile, assuring her it's alright, resulting in her smiling back at me. The dimple on her cheek was prominent and made her smile even more contagious than it originally was. She was short, but taller than me, petite but overall bigger. She looked to be about 5'4. I think she began to notice that I was staring at her longer than I should've because she cleared her throat, faced down, then continued to observe the classroom.

For some strange reason, I felt this sense of emptiness after she stopped talking to me.

"Uhm" I clear my throat while nervously attempting to make eye contact with her but failing. "Do you have a name?" I ask in a panic once her eyes land on me.

She looks down at the ground and giggles. Her laugh was soft and sweet. The kind of laugh that sounds genuine and authentic. I could tell she was different from most. "I do" She says proudly. "Do you?" Her tone suddenly switches from cute to intimidating.

I freeze up. Overwhelmed by the way she was staring into my eyes. It was as if they pierced right through my body and took full control of me. "I.. uhm.." I chuckle nervously. "I'm y/n"

"Ariana" She extends the conversation by responding immediately.

"Do you know where you sit, Ariana?" I ask

She smiles at my question and quickly glances at the projector. "I think I have an idea" She puts an emphasis on the word 'think'. "5d" She states hesitantly.

"No way! We sit right next to each other!"

Reluctant to believe we got so lucky, we both make our way towards the seats.

"Now that everyone's settled in" Mr. Smith begins, "Get comfortable, because these will be your seats for the rest of the year"

"It's a good thing I already am" Ariana states in a low, almost husky voice while eyeing me.

"Me too" I shoot her a smile. Maybe this year wouldn't be too bad, I thought.

This is a test run. If anyone is actually interested in reading this and wants me to continue, pls let me know! I would gladly do it.

Thanks for reading xx