Thirteen

Hesitant that I'd even gain a response, I begin to pace around the room. Memories from the first week of school come crashing down on me. Her immediate friendliness, the way she'd occasionally rest her hand on my thigh, and those times she'd show up to my house out of nowhere.

Who does that without having a specific motive?

Before I could think further, the bathroom door opens and an all too familiar face walks in.

"Hey" Ariana walks over to me, "Thank god you texted me when you did. We were in the middle of watching a movie about the great depression and it was giving me depression" She laughs.

When her joke fails to gain a reaction from me, she furrows her eyebrows in concern.

"Hey, are you good?" I feel her hand brush against my arm.

"H-how many people have you slept with?" I ask in a weak voice.

My question catches her by surprise and she can't help but laugh at my tone, "Excuse me?"

"Answer my question please" I take a deep breath and anticipate the answer, "A-are you using me, Ariana?" I look up to face her.

"What kind of question is that?" She chuckles in disbelief.

"A question that deserves to be answered"

"Y/n, are you okay?" She walks closer to me and reaches for my hand which I immediately reject.

"I need to know" I stammered with my thoughts. Why was she avoiding the question?

"You seem tense, you should relax" She attempts to reach for my hand again.

"Stop with the bullshit" I back away from her, now out of patience, "Tell me the truth."

"Okay" She says in a soft voice, "Don't know what's gotten into you but I'll let this slide"

"How many people?"

She takes a deep breath before answering, "I don't see why it matters, but only 8, I swear"

"Only 8?" I scoff in disbelief, "Y-you've slept with 8 people?"

"Oh so now you feel the need to judge me?" She rests a hand on her hip, "What's the big deal?"

"Forget it" I shake my head, in denial. "What made you take an interest in me anyway? Why were you so nice to me the first day we met?"

"That's a stupid question. I thought you were cute. I liked you" She says confidently, trying to outsmart me.

"You're lying" I grit my teeth.

"Sorry what?" She stares at me, bewildered by my sudden outburst.

"People around school are saying that you're notorious for sleeping around and have a reputation"

"People will say anything" She shrugs her shoulders, hopeful that I'd dismiss the subject.

"Answer my question truthfully"

"I'll answer anything but that" She looks to the ground - suddenly unable to face me.

"You didn't care about me, did you?" I shake my head in disappointment, "Even when we worked on our project together. I always felt like everything was moving too fast when I was with you, I never realized it actually was"

"I like you" Ariana lifts her head up - now ready to defend herself and her actions, "That's why I'm here"

"But you didn't at first" I finish her sentence, "You thought I was an easy target. That's why you took me out that one day" I was practically thinking out loud as everything slowly began to catch up to me, "You thought you could pick me up, take me out to eat and I'd let you sleep with me, didn't you?"