Seven

Portland, similar to Seattle, was known for its gloomy weather. Even in September we'd receive at least an average of 1.6 inches of rainfall including snow the entire month. I didn't mind it though because I personally love cold weather, especially the rain.

Unfortunately it wasn't the case this time around.

The sun was scorching hot and just about blinded everyone that was outside.
Tomorrow was our first game of the season and people were practicing like crazy. Normally we stay until 5 but coach made us stay longer.

When the clock struck 5, it had just hit me that I'd forgotten to text Ariana I'd be late for our study session. I never bothered to tell her because I was so wrapped up with physically preparing myself for my game. I lost track of a lot of things, truthfully speaking.

My mind then began to rage with all kinds of thoughts about what would happen if she were to show up at my house and I weren't there. I shouldn't worry though, she's more friends with my mom than she is me.

Without thinking, I run over to the bleachers and take out my phone from my bag.

Me
Hey Ariana, superrr sorry but I don't think we can make it work today either

After sending the text, I wait in anticipation for a response, worried that I might've upset her.

Ariana 🖤
??? wya

Me
Practice ! I have a game tomorrow which means it's a little longer than usual

Ariana🖤
hmmm

Me
I know, I know, it sucks. I was looking forward to working on our project too.

Ariana 🖤
when will u b done

Me
Probably an hour. At least that's what everyones saying.

Ariana 🖤
what time do u get home ?

Me
I don't have a car so I wait for someone to pick me up...

Me
Ik what you're probably thinking, go ahead and make fun of me for not having a car yet.

Ariana 🖤
see u at 6

Me
Wait. What?

Ariana 🖤
u want me to pick u up or not

Me
No, I don't want you to go through the trouble for me, it's fine. Lauren usually picks me up.

Ariana 🖤
well tell lauren tht i'm picking up my girl

After reading the last message sent, a smile crept up on my face and I began to blush. She really had a way with words. It's as if she knew exactly what to say to put a smile on my face.

Out of nervousness, I left her message on read. How do you even respond to a message like that?
"Ok thanks, I love you. and by the way, I dream about you occasionally- thought I'd let you know"

No thanks.. I don't want to risk potentially saying something embarrassing considering everything that's happened between us.
From the snarky comment I made in first period that one day, I managed to make myself look both desperate and pathetic. And on Monday, I gave her the impression that I was like any other disrespectful teen. So far, every one of our encounters were not in my favor.

It felt like the universe kept trying to steer us away from each other. I know it sounds dumb when I say it out loud, but the more I give it thought, the more logical it seems.
In reality, what would two people like her and I have in store for each other?
We both seemed to have a good idea of what we wanted our futures to look like, and they were nowhere near each other.
Were we just setting ourselves up for heartbreak?