Seventeen

Friday, Ariana confessed that she loved me, but I made it clear that I didn't know if the feelings were reciprocated.

And once that was done, we spent the remainder of our time sitting in silence - watching a movie.

It was now Sunday.

And I was still confused.

On my bed, in my room, in the dark and in solitude could I find the answer maybe.

Would I ever find out?

No.

"So are you two talking? Orr" I hear Lauren's sharp voice echo through the walls and immediately cover my face with my sheets when the lights turn on, "What's the deal?"

The razor-sharp light penetrated my eyes and I felt them burn when they made contact.

"I don't know. Stop asking me" I manage to respond to her question through muffles.

"Well how did it go? You haven't spoken about it all weekend" She asks, genuine concern laced her voice as she took a seat on my bed.

"Laur" I drag out her name - insinuating that I wasn't in the mood.

"Hmm" I feel my bed get lighter, then realize Lauren had gotten off and was now pacing around my room.

"You spent the entire day with her on Friday" She states in a loud voice, causing me to pop my head out of the sheets.

Detective Lauren, who now made herself present, was now on my case. It was the most entertaining part of our friendship.

There was no such thing as secrets, we were too good at reading each other.

"Came back around 11" Her hand was now rested on her chin, as if she were close to making a discovery, "And let's see" Lauren rips the blanket off me, exposing my frontal body, "Hmm.. Ok" She ventures on - practically thinking out loud, investigating my face.

"Hey!" I slap her hand when she lifts up my shirt - attempting to examine my body.

"Okay, so you guys didn't fuck" She mutters under her breath. "Let's take a peek at your neck" Her hand instantly lands on my chin and I feel her push it to the side, "You guys didn't even kiss?" She looks at me - bewildered.

"Shit Laur, what happened to personal space?" I push her hand off my neck and look at her in disgust.

"Here's my analysis" Lauren walks over to my dresser and grabs a pen, "You haven't showered since Friday, meaning you probably went to her house and didn't want to get rid of her smell. She invited you over, not her boyfriend or any of his friends, more than likely told you she misses you."

The pen was now in her mouth as she began to pace around the room.

"I feel like you guys watched a movie or did something extremely harmless and boring" She chuckles quietly to herself.

If anyone were to see her from a distance, they'd think she's crazy.

"I don't think you two fought because you wouldn't be as glued to your phone as you are now." She suddenly turns to me - her eyes bulging out, "Unless, it was more of an emotional fight"

I stare at her in amusement but also fascination. How was she doing this?

"Feelings were involved and the fact that you two were alone is starting to make me wonder if confessions were made"

In disbelief, I laugh at her and the state her investigation had caused her to fall into.

"And" She clears her throat and takes a peek out my door before shutting it - double checking that no one was around. "You didn't sleep together because you don't have that glow"

I scoff at her remark, "That's b-"

"But man," She interrupts me, "You guys didn't even kiss?" Disappointment was dripping from her voice, "Like not even once?"

"Lauren" I exhale in frustration.

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me" She jumps onto my bed and lays down beside me, "But tell me this," Her head was now resting on her hand as she stared at me, "How accurate was my analysis?"

"She told me she loves me" I mutter under my breath, hoping she wouldn't freak out.

Suddenly, I feel my entire bed shake and glance up to see a bewildered yet energetic Lauren, standing above me.

"She what?!" Her voice screeched through the walls, causing me to jump back into my sheets and cover my face.

"Mmmhmm" I mumbled.

"I've been with Jason for 5 years and he told me the second year we were together." She complained, "You guys have been together for barely a month" I feel her eyes roll.

"A-are you kidding me?" I pop my head out of the sheets and stare at her in disbelief, "You're not jealous, are you?"

"Of course I am" Lauren scoffs, "Girls make things less complicated when it comes to feelings, guys love to play around. Why can't I like the same gender?"

"I'm not having this conversation with you" I roll my eyes and push my blanket back over my face.

She sighs before pulling the covers off me, "I'm sorry. It's just that, you're really lucky and you don't even realize it"

"Me?" I raise an eyebrow at her, "Lucky?" Laughter escapes my lips when she nods her head, "How?"

"Dude, you've been crushing on this girl since the first day you saw her. A month and a few weeks in and she tells you that she loves you" Lauren looks at me - irritated, "And how does my little cousin react?" She scoffs before answering her question, "She locks herself in her room and stays glued to her phone"

"Okay, first of all" I shift my body upwards and point a finger in her direction, "You don't know anything about the state of our relationship"

"Oh but I do" Lauren exclaims, "Who cares if she approached you without the intention of forming a long term relationship"

"I do!" I yell at her. It felt like my soul had left my body. I'd never screamed at Lauren so loud before.

Silence infiltrated my room as the last words spoken echoed through the walls.

We were both at a loss for words.

"Look" Lauren clears her throat - her vision now focused on the ground, "All I'm saying is no one is perfect. Relationships are complicated, they take time and effort. You'll rarely find a love like the ones they show in movies"

I let out a sigh in frustration and shut my eyes - confused.

"Y/n, the fact that this girl admitted her faults to you should be enough of a reason to hold on to her. For fucks sake, she went through half of the football and Lacrosse team in a week, all in an attempt to get over you" Lauren shakes her head and chuckles at me, "And that's it? You just give up on her?"

"It's not like that" I rubbed my temples - unable to form a response.

"You love making things complicated, y/n"

"I really don't though"

"Then why are you buried in bed? Hiding from the entire world?"

I sit in my bed, uneasiness and embarrassment consuming me, "I'm scared, Laur" I confess, "And I think I'm scared because I love her too"

I look up to face Lauren who now had a hand rested on her forehead, "Get out of bed" She rolls her eyes at me then reaches for my doorknob to open the door, "And don't tell me this. Go tell her, you idiot"