Twenty Five

A white sheet of paper: with letters to words to completely outrageous questions printed over it laid in front of me. My mind began to draw blanks as I stared directly at it - praying I'd disappear, or the paper itself.

October passed by in a flash, meaning SAT's were right around the corner. And given the goals I had set for myself after high school, scoring high on this test was a must.

But for some reason, I just couldn't focus. Perhaps it was the weather. Or maybe my setting. Surely it had to be either of these two things and not the music blaring from Ariana's phone. Her singing each verse wasn't very helpful either.

"Turn that stupid music off" I lift my head up only to find an energetic and lively Ariana - clutching onto a hairbrush - singing in front of her mirror.

Taken aback by my sudden bluntness, she glances over at me before turning the volume low, "First of all," She starts, "This music isn't stupid, these artists are legendary. And their music is iconic." I shake my head in response as she continues, "And second, be nice to me. One day, it'll be my music playing on the radio"

I fold my arms and raise an eyebrow at her, "Your music? On the radio?", Ariana instantly nods her head - almost as if she were prepared for the question. "That would be the weirdest thing to ever happen" I stifle a laugh, "I think if I ever were to hear your name on the radio, it'd strike an epiphany in me"

"An epiphany?", Ariana was practically beaming with excitement. I knew she loved to talk about singing, and I'd never met someone so passionate about it, "What kind of epiphany?"

My smile widens at her question, "If Ariana Grande can make it on the radio, then surely anything is possible"

Laughter immediately consumes her as she jokingly hits me with her hairbrush.

"It was a joke!" My hands raise as a sign of surrender, "I'm sorry! It was a joke"

She throws the brush across the room, "Hmm", I feel her eyes land on me, "Self deprecating jokes? I'm sensing some discomfort"

"Discomfort?" My eyes bulge out in disbelief at her question, "Well of course I'm not comfortable. H-how the hell am I supposed to relax when there's a test in less than a week that will literally shape my future?!"

Ariana shakes her head vigorously as she begins to walk over to me, "No, not necessarily regarding that." She takes a deep breath before diving on to her bed - joining me, "I'm talking about the future."

"The future?" My eyebrows furrow at her in confusion, "What do you mean?"

"You're afraid of it, aren't you?" She purses her lips at me - waiting for a response. When I don't provide her with one, she grows impatient, "Here" I feel her hand graze against mine as she lifts her legs onto the bed, "Tell me your fears"

A smile creeps up on my face as I stifle a laugh, "You're weird. Why would I tell you my fears?"

"Because I already know what your dreams are" Her eyes focus on mine - the intensity now growing, "Now I want to know about your fears."

I stare back at her - hesitant as to what I should do - "What's so important about it?"

"My nonna says you can tell a lot about a person based on three things."

Unconvinced, I fold my arms at her, "And what exactly are those three things?"

"First, your dreams." She starts, "Often times, our dreams are a reflection of things we prioritize. For example, yours is to get into this college. Which makes me believe that you value education."