Twenty Seven

The high-pitched chime instantly captivated everyone's attention. Alex rushed to the door out of pure boredom and per usual, Lauren followed.

The second the person behind the door was revealed, a shockwave of displeasure plunged into the room - immediately changing everyones overall mood.

Jason stepped foot inside our house as if the blood of royalty ran through his veins working a flashy yet vivid smile, "Hey kiddo" He attempts to wrap an arm around Alex which is quickly rejected, "Happy Thanksgiving everyone!"

Any kind of relationship with him didn't please anyone yet despite my family's hatred for him, everyone managed to mask their frustration. After all, Lauren made it perfectly clear that my parents were exempt from voicing any opinion they had regarding her love life.

When she started dating, my dad wasn't in favor. But once arguing became a routine for them every night, he finally gave up.

"Happy Thanksgiving Jason, it's nice to see you." My dad forcibly said through gritted teeth, "How are you? How's your family doing?"

"Great!" Jason practically leaped with excitement at the fact that he cared enough to actually ask, "My family is also doing gr-"

Before he could complete his sentence, Lauren formed a tight grip on his forearm - leading him upstairs and away from us, "Call me when foods ready!" She shouts halfway up the stairs.

The switch in both my parents' facial expressions as they reacted to Lauren's behavior had been the most entertaining thing I'd seen all day. In fact, it was so entertaining that I had barely noticed a small hand tug at my shirt.

"What Alex?" His touch irked me causing me to quickly push him away, "I'm busy watching mom and dad stare into blank space."

"It's cool that you find pleasure in watching our parents experience deep mortification, but I think your girlfriend is here."

My eyes stumble onto the door and I immediately make contact with an anxious Ariana. Without thinking, I begin to walk towards it - working a wide grin,
"Sorry ma'am, we're not interested in any of your girl scout cookies"

Two pairs of eyes roll at my comment before a box is held up, "It's actually pie," She states proudly, "And I wouldn't charge you." Her pearly white teeth shined in my direction causing me to smile, "But I guess you're not interested, so I'll just be on my w-"

Similar to Lauren's doing to Jason, my hand wrapped around Ariana's arm and I practically dragged her inside.

We stumble into the house - both giggling nervously like lunatics. I couldn't help it. Her presence unleashed a different level of comfort in me.

My parents - who both seemed to be highly invested in a conversation - immediately shifted their eyes onto Ariana. It was evident she was an introvert as the signs were instantly displayed when my dad began speaking.

"You must be Ariana." A small smile crept on my dads lips as he turned in her direction, "I've heard quite a few things about you." His arm extended out and she took no time to accept his handshake.

"It's nice to meet you Mr. Y/l/n" Ariana smiled nervously as my dads stare began to intensify. What was he trying to do? Stare into her soul? "All good things I hope!" She chimes in - in hopes to reduce tension in the room.