Twelve

During October of every year, our town throws a carnival festival in the spirit of halloween. And as much as the older folks hyped it up, no one really cared for it.

Who could blame us though? The rides looked to be made for 5 year olds and the food was not to be trusted given past experiences.

6 years ago, Dylan suggested we find out what the hype was all about. And after what we deemed to be the most eventful and exciting day of our 12 year old lives, we made it tradition to go every year.

That is, until today.

"Yeah there's no way I'm going to that thing" Derek shakes his head while taking a bite of his sandwhich.

"You don't have a choice" Dylan yells across the table, "None of you have a choice! It's tradition!" He shoots the three of us a death glare, knowing very well we each had an excuse, "Have you guys forgotten that?"

Derek lifts up his head slowly, afraid of Dylan's reaction, "I-I'm sorr-"

"Shut up Derek. You literally have no friends except for us. Scratch that, you don't have much of a life without us"

"I have a life" Derek scoffs while popping his collar, "And I have other friends besides you guys"

"Name two" Dylan leans in close - amused.

"Um" Derek clears his throat, "W-well" He itches the back of his neck - thinking.

"You're coming" Dylan says causing Derek to let out a sigh of annoyance.

"Back me up here Laur, y/n?"

"I can't come" I mutter under my breath, afraid of the reaction I'd gain from an already impatient Dylan, "I've got plans with Ariana this week"

He slowly turns his head in mine and Lauren's direction, shocked at the audacity.

"Same here" Lauren looks at me and smiles, "I've got a date" She practically squeals.

"Who?" Everyone suddenly turns their heads in her direction - shocked. She had been dating the same guy since the eighth grade. That is until junior year when he openly kissed 2 other girls in front of the entire school. The two were completely delusional, yet helplessly in love. It was an on and off relationship.

"Jason" She blushes while covering her face with her phone.

A flashback from a few weeks ago plays in my head, "Wait. Again? But I thought you-"

"I did delete his number, y/n. But he texted me, and I couldn't say no"

I take a deep breath and shut my eyes for a second, grasping the information, "Seriously Laur?"

"H-he's changed. I tried telling you it was just a phase."

"Are you aware of what he put you through?" I stammered with my thoughts. This girl was delusional. I didn't even have enough energy to tell her how wrong she was for giving him another chance.

"People make mistakes" She mutters under her breath.

"Sure" Derek adds, "Once, twice, three times and maybe even four. But he's been doing the same thing for 5 years now." He reaches for Lauren's hand and grips it while looking at her sympathetically, "If you truly believe he's changed, then I respect your decision."

"Are you done kissing her ass?" Dylan blurts out, ruining the sentiment Derek had created, "Look, you can do whatever you want, but don't come crying to any of us when he cheats on you again"

"He's not the same person he was before" Lauren glares at him, "He told me himself"

"I find that hard to believe" Dylan clears his throat, causing everyone's attention to shift towards him. "I was at a party last week and saw him with some girl"