Four

"How do I look?" I ask while adjusting my top, looking in the mirror, "Be honest" I turn around to face Lauren.

She tilts her head and examines me. "If I were Ariana, I'd take you to bed tonight"

"Don't talk like that you creep!" I hit her arm.

"What?" She laughs, "It's not like you don't want her to"

"I'm serious" I shoot her a death glare. "I'm nowhere near ready to start anything serious. It's barely been 3 months since Derek"

"Big deal" Lauren shrugs her shoulders "It's not like you two were much of a couple anyway. If I didn't know, I would've never been able to guess you two dated"

"Don't you have better things to do than stand behind me and judge my love life?" I retort while applying lipstick, looking in the mirror.

"Whatever" She rolls her eyes, "I'll be in the car waiting"

Sometimes she talked too much.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

When we pull up to the party, cheers and sounds of people could already be heard from inside. High school parties were the best. People would get insanely drunk and do either of two things- sleep with someone or get into a fight; Which would result in a very entertaining Monday for everyone. High school was fun in that aspect I suppose, while some may argue it to be dangerous, but what's life without living on the edge once in a while?

As soon as we step inside, a wave of hot air hits my face. It felt like a sauna in the living room, with everyone's bodies practically connected to each other. A few familiar faces greet me as I make my way through the crowd. When I reach the kitchen, I take a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air.

I walk over to the table and begin to pour myself a drink. Suddenly, I feel two hands on my shoulders "Boo!" I turn around to face Derek. Unsure of how to react, I laugh awkwardly.

"H-hey Derek" I turn around, my full attention to him. Sometimes I felt like he forgot we weren't together anymore which made things even more awkward than they already were.

"Hey!" He was drunk. I could tell from his tone of voice.

Keeping my distance, I slowly back into the table, furthering myself from him. He doesn't seem to notice that I'm uncomfortable though because he moves himself closer to me. He mumbles something under his breath.

The pounding of the music in the background gradually became louder as he continued to mumble.

Holding the cup to my face, I look at him confused, "What?" I say in a loud voice.

He repeats himself once more.

"I can't hear you" I shout which is equivalent to a whisper because of the music playing.

"I said, y-"

I still couldn't understand him.

"I'm sorry but I still can't hear you"

He flares his nostrils, having zero patience. Derek looks around the room before taking a deep breath.

"I said you look pretty!" He shouts as loud as he can. The music suddenly turns off and people begin to stare.

"Thanks" I shoot him an awkward smile.

He walks closer to me, "Did you come alone tonight?"

"No. I came with Lauren" I clear my throat, looking around the room to show him that I'm uncomfortable.

"She's not around though" He states, looking around the room.
He then leans in close to me and whispers in my ear, "Do you wanna go upstairs?"