Fifteen

The day at the carnival was exactly how I imagined it'd play out. A majority of it consisted of Jordan cracking jokes in an attempt to impress Ariana, while the other half was spent watching him win prizes for her.

Never in my entire life had I felt more out of place. There was nothing more I wanted than to leave, but I couldn't.

To make matters worse, Jordan immediately called a group of friends over when I showed up alone. Being captain of the football gains you a few advantages, such as having authority over the rest of the team. And throughout our time spent there, at least 4 guys had managed to try and talk to me.

I didn't need anyone to pity me, especially Jordan. And as if I'd give any of those lowlife meat-heads a second of my time.

To put it short and simple, it was sheer torture.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
As we approach the car to leave, I feel a hand grip my arm - stopping me from walking further. I look up to see that it's Ariana. A smile forms on her lips when we make eye contact, and it felt like the world had stopped.

I may have been exposed to her smile and laughter all day, but there was something different about it this time around. It seemed genuine, and her face was practically glowing.

"Don't wait up for us" I hear Ariana shout to Jordan who looked to be 10 feet away. He nods his head, implying he heard her despite the distance, before continuing to walk.

"Whats going on" I ask.

"Are you free?" She turns around to face me, "You wanna hangout at my place with Jordan and the rest of the guys?"

"Uh" I freeze when her eyes land on me.

"Why am I even asking?" Before I could form a response, she answers her question for me, "Of course you wouldn't" She blindly shakes her head.

"That's not true" I lie in an attempt to make her not feel bad, "I'd love to, it's just that I've got homework"

She wanted me to join them? At her house? And not in a public setting where I'd at least be able to refrain from acting based off my emotions. Jordan's presence made it seem all the more unbearable too. It didn't feel like a good idea.

Especially given all the progress we've made as friends.

"Homework?" She arches an eyebrow in my direction - not believing a single word coming out of my mouth.

I nod my head - avoiding eye contact from her.

"So you're telling me that once you get home y-"

"Yup" I interrupt her, "Full on study sesh. I've actually got a test coming up" I lie.

"Oh really?" She asks - amused by my state.

I begin to sweat when her eyes land on me, "Yeah"

"What class?" I feel a smirk form on her face when she realizes that I'll break any second now.

"Uh" I instantly freeze up and she begins to laugh.

"You're funny" She says sarcastically, "I know when you're lying" Her index finger was now pointed in my direction.

"You don't hate me that much, do you?" Her tone indicated that my answer would affect her mood greatly.

"I don't hate you" I laugh, "I hate Jordan, and his friends"

"They're not that bad you know"

"Regardless, never in a million years would I voluntarily be in the same room with any of them" I fold my arms.

"Hmm" Ariana rests a hand on her chin and begins to think. "I'll tell you what. It can be just the two of us."

"B-but what about Jordan?"

"I've had enough of him for a day. Besides, we barely spend time together."

"It won't upset him, right?"

"Don't care" She tugs my arm and locks it with hers, "I miss you"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As Ariana unlocks the door, I can't help but stare.

She was working a half up bun with the remainder of her hair cascading over her shoulders. And due to the fact that we'd been in rides all day, she achieved the messy hair look. Her makeup was still intact and she managed to smell of an expensive perfume mixed with outdoor scents.

It was hot.

I'm talking about the weather.

The second Ariana opens her front door, we're met with complete silence.

"Oooo" She turns to face me with a mischievous grin, "Were home alone" I stare at her - puzzled- as she takes off her jacket.

"And what about it?" I retort.

"We could do something my mom would never let if she were home"

She begins to walk closer to me as I stare at her - confusion and uneasiness consuming me. When I realize what she's implying, I practically feel my heart rate jump from a mere 90 to 130.

"It's fine" She lays a hand on my shoulder and shoots me a sympathetic expression, "I know I'm more experienced than you are when it comes to these things, but it's fine. You'll be fine"

"Ariana, are y-"

"Scary movie marathon!" She shouts before pushing me, "Last one upstairs gets the edge seat"

A forced laugh escapes from my mouth as a wave of realization hits me. I wanted to facepalm myself. Why would I have even thought that she was implying that? It's like I had forgotten Jordan existed.

I wish he didn't exist.

I can't help but smile when I watch her make way for the stairs. Admiring the view, I get lost in my train of thoughts.

The way her brown eyes lit up every time she'd laugh and how shy she could be at times, yet also extremely adventurous.

The mere thought of her left me speechless. It was her soft laugh that captured my attention, but her personality that intrigued me. Everything about her was fascinating.

She seemed too ethereal and pure for this world.

And there was something about her aura that I found soothing and comforting. She was the only person that had the ability to make me feel this way. I found myself more drawn to her in that moment than any other and never wanted to leave her side.

"Hello, earth to y/n" She yells, halfway up the staircase, "You good?"

When I realize I'm being spoken to, I shake my head in an attempt to get a grip. "I'm more than good" I clear my throat, "But word of advice, you should really stop challenging a sprinter. It never ends well for the person on the other end"

"I can't help it" She chuckles, "I like the rush of excitement"

"You'll like the rush of excitement you'll get sitting on the edge seat" I laugh before running up the stairs - following her.

When we both make it to the top, we stop for a moment as she makes it evident she was struggling to breathe.

"I. Hate. Running" Ariana says in between breaths while holding her stomach - causing me to laugh. "Don't laugh" She punches my shoulder, "You're mean".

"You literally made me spend the entire day with Jordan" I shake my head, "The only mean person here is you"

She rolls her eyes at me before we begin to walk to her room.