Twenty Six

I took a whiff of the air surrounding me and threw my gym bag over my shoulder as I made way for the door to the café.

It was the end of November, meaning days had fallen relatively short - leaving barely enough time for people to enjoy the daytime. By 4:30 pm, the world would grow dark and the air would turn an icy cold.

Approaching the restaurant, a smile forms on my lips with the view now ahead of me.

Ariana had been working at this place a little over three weeks now, but the poor thing still couldn't get the hang of it. People were rude, lacked common decency and barely gave her credit for the effort she put in.

With a satisfied smile, I make way towards her. It appeared as though she was concentrating on a machine of some sort - causing her back to face me.

I threw my bag on a nearby couch, and with all the strength I had left, my hand slams onto the counter - causing her to jump.

"Excuse me, where the hell is my coffee?" My voice shifted multiple tones as I attempted to sound somewhere in between an old man and a middle aged woman.

Ariana slowly turned her body around - and when she came to face me, her eyes narrowed in my direction. If looks could kill, I'd be dead the instant her eyes landed on me.

"You think you're funny?" She folded her arms and raised an eyebrow at me, "That's got to be the saddest thing I've heard all day." I watch in amusement as she glances over her shoulder - confirming her boss was nowhere in sight - before leaning into the counter, "And I watched someone spill food all over themselves." She whispers, "So that should say something."

My eyes instinctively roll then I quickly move myself close- giving her a light peck on the lips before backing up, "You don't look like you're enjoying yourself"

She stifles a laugh before, once again, turning her back towards me, "I swear to god, if one more person suggests that I smile more, I'll punch them in the teeth."

"Maybe, you should take a break," My mind begins to trail off as she prepares an order, "And sit with me for a bit?" I let a thought slip out. She turns around to face me and shoots a hesitant expression.

Truthfully speaking, I hadn't stopped by the café after track practice to disguise myself as different customers simply to annoy her. My presence served a different purpose.

I came bearing a question. A question that had the ability to either strength our relationship or weaken it, "Come on, you look like you need it." 

Her facial expression grew soft at the tone of my voice, and in an instant, the order she had prepared was served to a customer. She then walked towards a nearby couch, "You're lucky you're wearing your cute shorts" She mumbles before plotting herself on the seat, "Otherwise I wouldn't even look in your direction."

"Wow," I chuckle while joining her on the couch, "My heart" A hand of mine rests on my chest in an attempt to add dramatic affect. Ariana shakes her head in amusement, "Who knew you were so romantic?"

I feel a hand jokingly punch my shoulder before a head rests on it. She lets out a long and almost exaggerated sigh as our laughter dies down.

We both stare out the window for a moment - mesmerized by the view of absolute stillness in front of us. Then the peaceful silence is interrupted by her shuffling.

Her head raises from my shoulder, then I feel a pair of eyes land on me, "I have a feeling you didn't suggest I take a break just so we could stare out the window." She purses her lips at me - waiting for a confession, "Something's up."