Sixteen

As my foot enters the room, in an instant, memories from our previous encounter begin to play out in my head. Every fiber in my body grew tense and I felt myself stiffen at the scene.

The very thought of the events that occurred in this room made me sick to my stomach. A childish bet between two friends had the ability to ruin a beautiful relationship.

How simple it was for things to go awry.
It frightened me to my core.

And athough we weren't together, we were friends, and that is something to appreciate. I was grateful for my friendship with Ariana. That's to say the least.

"Turn around" She states in a deep voice causing me to lose my train of thought.

I look up to face Ariana who was now holding a few pieces of clothing to her chest.

"There's no need" I grin while taking a seat on her bed, "Friends can watch each other ch-"

"Y/n" Her voice suddenly grew loud. I could tell she wasn't in the mood for my usual antics.

Between the two of us, she was definitely the more mature one.

"Okay sorry" I lift my arms up above my shoulders in surrender, "Geez, don't hit me"

"I just might" She folds her arms and stares - unimpressed - waiting for me to turn around.

I squeeze my eyes shut then top it off with both hands covering them. Hoping she wouldn't make me turn around, I sigh in annoyance, "Ugh. It's so dark. I can't see anything"

I could practically feel her eyes roll at my comment, "Oh my god" She groans, "You're so annoying. Fine. Don't turn. But keep your eyes shut."

"Yes ma'm" I respond jokingly.

The room grows silent when I hear clothes begin to shift.

Hopeful that I wouldn't get caught, I manage to get a quick peek of what was in front of me.

To my luck, I open my eyes the second she's done putting her sweats on.

"Nice try" She glances at me before making her way to the closet.

"Whatever" I respond - annoyance dripping from my tongue.

"Don't forget to breathe" She chuckles at my state.

When I realize what she's insinuating, I try to outsmart her, "I-I can't help it. Your room is so pretty. Still can't get over it, I-I've never seen one decorated so beautifully before"

"Don't think you can fool me" I watch her head pop out from the closet, "I know you tried looking" She laughs.

"Can you blame me?" I shrug my shoulders jokingly, "Jordan's a lucky guy"

"He's a lot of things" She walks over, joining me on the bed. There was a sudden change in her tone, "Just not you" She mutters under her breath.

I let out a sigh and focus my vision on the ground - unable to face her.

I knew she still had feelings for me, and there was no denying mine for her. But I couldn't be in a relationship with her after what happened. At least not anytime soon. It was too overwhelming and I needed space.

We both did.

"Ari-" I start but immediately get shut down.

"S-sorry" She shakes her head out of embarrassment, "I'm sorry" I watch as she stands up from the bed- suddenly realizing what she'd said, "I shouldn't have said that"

"Don't apologize" I reach for her hand.

"Our situation" She starts, "This entire thing blows" I watch her pace around the room, "And it sucks even more knowing that it's my fault"