Fourteen

The whole "break" was lasting longer than I expected. It had been almost two weeks since Ariana and I stopped talking to each other. I figured that she'd come crawling back after a few days, but that didn't happen.

On Monday, I watched her get in a car and drive off with Brian Hernandez, a well-known lacrosse player at our school. He manages to get around with every girl he lays his eyes on - plus he's a total jerk.

On Wednesday, Jordan Collins walked her to every one of her classes. And after the school day ended, she sat on the bleachers and cheered him on at his football game. Shortly afterwards, they would go home and celebrate together privately.

And on Friday, Jacob Owens was practically attached to her hip during the entire school day. Every chance they'd get, they would kiss passionately in the hallways, as if trying to challenge the meaning of the word "provocative"

I felt disgusted and betrayed, but mostly betrayed.

Exposure to this kind of behavior affected me more than it should've. It took a toll on my mental and physical health and I wasn't doing my best in any of my classes. Not to mention I was getting outrun by freshmen during practice.

- --- --- --- --- --- --- --

As the opening date of the carnival approached, I felt obligated to text Ariana. Given we had made plans to go together, I felt it was only right to confirm that plans were definitely off.

It's more than likely she already knew, but I missed talking to her and needed an excuse.

Even though I should hate her, I miss her.

Me
Hi.

After waiting a few minutes, I take a deep breath and facepalm myself. Why the hell would she answer me? And why would I even text her to begin with?

I get up from my bed and make my way downstairs - looking to forget and distract myself from what I just did.

Lauren always knew how to make me feel better by talking about her problems. No matter how messed up my love life was, hers always seemed to be worse, and although it's selfish of me to say, I feel a lot better when I listen to her issues.

The 30 minute mark hits and I instantly regret asking her in the first place.

"Y-yeah, you should s-sit down and talk with him about it" I respond with my head facing the stairs, hoping she'd take a hint.

She didn't.

"You know what?" Lauren says in an energetic tone, as if she had just made a discovery. "I think I'm gonna go sit down and talk with him about it"

Before I could tell her that she literally stole my idea, or even form a response for that matter, she runs out the door clutching her purse.

I shrug my shoulders and make my way towards the stairs. As I reach my room, I immediately search for my phone.

Ariana🖤
hey stranger

My heart dropped.

Me
Did you forget my name? Or who I am? What, with the amount of people you've been hanging out with lately.

Ariana🖤
nah it's hard to forget a face like yours

Me
How have you been?

Ariana🖤
peachy

Me
I bet..

Ariana🖤
what's that supposed to mean .?

Me
Nothing. Forget I said anything. Anyway what are you up to these days?

Ariana🖤
home

Me
What..? No Brian?

Ariana🖤
...

Me
JORDAN?? He's a sweetheart.

Ariana🖤
u're pushing it

Me
Okay but you can't tell me Jacob is out of the equation. You two looked like a match made in heaven.

Ariana🖤
did u need smthn.? i'm gunna leave u on read

Me
I'm just joking around with you.! It's what friends do.

Ariana🖤
hmm ok.. wut do u want ?

Me
I still have our tickets to the carnival we bought a while ago

Ariana🖤
carnival ?

Me
Yeah... Remember? We bought them together after school during the beginning of the month.

Ariana🖤
ooh shit. I'm busy that day

Me
It's fine, I understand. No need to worry.

Ariana🖤
no i feel bad

Me
Ariana, I'm serious, It's okay. Maybe I could go with my little brother or something.

Ariana🖤
little brother ? what ab lauren?

Me
Lauren's busy with Jason

Ariana🖤
nah, we'll go together

Me
Really? But I thought you had plans.

Ariana🖤
plans changed.

Me
That's really sweet of you, thank you.

Ariana🖤
no problem ! i gtg but jordan and i will def see u this weekend

I stare at her message - emptiness slowly consuming me.